• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snap vs sear type matchlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irish,
I have and will continue to prime with 4F in a matchlock.
I use 2 F to prime with flint, but not match.
Ic an see no reason for Not priming with 4 F. It works best for me and a Very fine prime was used back in the day.

I have also been using a matchlock many years now, and never even had a surprise ignition, never mind not blowing myself up. I Did once pick up a flat tin of powder, forgetting that hand still held the slow match! That was a fair burn, but aloe overcame it Very quickly.

All the best,
Richard.

4 fg will work however fine powder is like dust small amounts can be on your clothes.and accumulate around your pan cover even after cleared the cover for loose powder it sticks to every thing and is hard to detect with fouling present I have done tests Japanese muskets where 4 is commonly used for priming even with good care we had two go off with their pan covers closed my 50 years of shooting matchlocks tell me you need be extra cautious when using 4 f for priming keep pan clean and make sure your pan is tight and fully closed We did find in tests that showed fewer problems of the above nature when the above was done .

4 fg will work however fine powder is like dust small amounts can be on your clothes.and accumulate around your pan cover even after cleared the cover for loose powder it sticks to every thing and is hard to detect with fouling present I have done tests Japanese muskets where 4 is commonly used for priming even with good care we had two go off with their pan covers closed my 50 years of shooting matchlocks tell me you need be extra cautious when using 4 f for priming keep pan clean and make sure your pan is tight and fully closed We did find in tests that showed fewer problems of the above nature when the above was done .
Never having any 4 f Ide grind up courser powder to procure dust like priming at least in target use its downside is its prone to imbibe damp air so didnt use it if hunting . The 12 bore Coman lock probably from my want of expertise , Had it little knack of hitting the exposed prime and seeming to stub out .Ide hang on hopeing it go off & get me a ten. But giving up Ide let go the trigger and it went off as I lowered the gun when apon it would fly off behind me and Ide just swoop it up and reload .Observers thought this odd or told me Ide" Shot a rabbit " IE wildly in the grass . It didn't seem to faze me any This was the 'Courtney Cup 'event' on the 'Short Siberia range at Bisley Later I used 45 or 40 cal guns of varient snap matchlock. I latterly focused on the Venitian 'Mary Rose' sort . I over the years managed Bronze , Silver ,& a Gold with number 88 of 1988. promptly sold it to one of the Channel Islands teem same as the proceeding guns .Same pattern breach a US barrel make the lock In NZ & stock it in UK got it proofed and did that 4 or more years .
Recollecting Rudyard

Back