• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snap sacks revisited.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was thinking for some time on making a snapsack. Saw Stophel's snapsack and was impressed. Made one last week and took it on a trek. This being the Ozarks it was uphill both was :grin: . I've used pack baskets, knap sacks and haversacks. I try to travel light and do travel lighter then younger days. I found the stuff I needed was more comfortable in that snap sack then any other way I've tried it. Wish I had made one earlier. :thumbsup: to stophel.

I don't have any photo sharing account. It was a rectangle. At the fold line I have about a 6 inch arch to the bottom and a 2 inch wide fold over on the top. Then about a dozen button holes in the top for a string to close it. Folded a strip of canvas 8 inchs wide and 36 inchs long in to a 2 inch wide strip as a carring strap. I looked up snap sack on the net and found a pattern on a buckskinners page. It looks like the one on Jas townsend web site. I hand sewed it and it took about 6 to 8 hours to make. mine is cotton canvas. Hemp or linen is correct but a might pricy.

Thanks for the report on how a snap sack actually stands up in use. Yes, in the Ozarks you often have to go STRAIGHT up or down in those hills and many places are not easy to climb up or down at all.

Gus

Glad it's workin' for you! :hatsoff:

I haven't been anywhere with mine yet, but in fooling around with it here, it seems like it will do very well. Once you get the position, size, length, etc. worked out, it hangs pretty nicely across the back. It may not be quite as secure as a properly fitted two strap knapsack with a chest strap, but it's not as much trouble to fit or fool with!

Do you order your carriage with your wool blanket over the top edge to keep the snapsack waterproof too?

:shocked2:

Are you always this... confrontational? Honestly, it's not an endearing quality.

I don't think he was being confrontational ( this time ) and meant to ask if the blanket was carried on top of the sack to protect it from the elements.

Stophel said:
Are you always this... confrontational? Honestly, it's not an endearing quality.

While not worded for the layman to understand...his comment was not confrontational but rather a legitimate question . He was asking how he carried his blanket and possibly tarp. I too wonder how people carry these items when using a snapsack.

tenngun said:
Rolled the blanket and typed with cords, tied them to the bag
When you typed the cords did you use a modern keyboard or an old style typewriter? :wink:

Back