• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore versatility question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 62 smooth bore that i am not sure if it is choked. How do I check it measures .622 with my calipers and would choking it mess up my ability to use it for roundball.

Andy

If you are measuring .622 at the muzzle it shouldn't have choke as most 20's will measure much smaller than that with choke. But if restrition choked you should be able to tell with a tight brush on a cleaning rod as it will be easier to pull until you get nearer the muzzle.

Unchoked it might shoot shot patterns well enough for most work. If you want tighter patterns do a search for "jug choking". In short is a relieved area inside the bore a little ways back from the muzzle. It allows for better shot patterns but still allows balls to be shot as there is no restriction.

There are a few guys who offer this service. Danny Caywood is one: http://www.caywoodguns.com/

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
If constriction choked and not jug, yes. In fact, I dislike any choke in ml shotguns. Even for shot getting the wads down the bore is a chore. Haveing had three ml smoothies, I have come to like an unchoked gun.

I am gonna have to get out and pattern it and see if it needs choked. I plan for this to be my only hunting gun so it will need to be able to hunt small game and big game, which is why i am wondering.

Andy

I mentioned Caywood above but recall Chambers uses someone else if somebody wants one of their kit barrels jugged choked, I just can't remember his name.

If necessary, a call or e-mail to Barbie would find the answer pretty quickly: www.flintlocks.com

Enjoy the Journey, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
The general consensus is you can shoot a round ball out of a jugged choked barrel.

The question that you bump up against is; do you want to shoot the gun with all it originals idiosyncrasies or do you want to apply more recent technology?

There is no correct answer because it is a matter of personal taste. :hmm:

As mentioned in another post, I like my shotguns with more modern stock dimensions for wing shooting, however my trade gun is cylinder bored and stocked like an original, which I find better for round ball shooting.

Updating the muzzle loaders to improve accuracy is as old as shooting itself. Peep sights, palm rests, heavy barrels, shooting jackets all evolved to increase rifle accuracy. Chokes, shot cups and back boring are used to improve the performance of modern shotguns.

The drive to “improve” the muzzle loader has led to the modern in-lines, but many still like the charm and challenge of the older guns.

How much technology is acceptable often comes down too which do you prefer; dropping a turkey at 40 yards or calling it into 20 yards or less.

Again it is a personnel choice thing.

Honestly i love the authenticity of it but i am at the end of the day a meat hunter not a paper puncher so i will have to weigh the pros and cons. Any more opinions are welcomed and invited.

Andy

I am fairly new to the muzzle loaders but not shooting. Have enjoyed reading about and trying the different home made paper shot cups. Had a working understanding about jug choking and it works great when done right. Even the little 28 gauge can be made to perform well within reasonable ranges. To some extent the performance you get depends on the shooter and what he or she is willing to try. My 28 gauge patterns are much better than when I started. Was fun burning powder to get there, know a bunch of things now yhat didn't work and some that did.

fire-n-brimstone said:
I have a 62 smooth bore that i am not sure if it is choked. How do I check it measures .622 with my calipers and would choking it mess up my ability to use it for roundball.

Andy
What sort of smooth bore is it? Most single barrels and lots of doubles are not choked.
Try the tight patch trick on a cleaning jag you should be able to feel it.

fire-n-brimstone said:

Andy
I have a .62cal Rice barrel on an Early Virginia I had Danny Caywood Jug Choke for me and for all practical purposes, it essentially shoots PRBs like a rifle at the 50yds I have it zeroed.

Back