• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smoothbore thoughts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfred Garner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have just discovered this forum and since i'am getting back into muzzleloading hunting i would like to re-create the pre 1800 era.

I have been interested in a smoothbore for sometime i think i would like a 20gauge not sure if i want a tulle or a nwg and don't know rather 36" or 42". I want it for hunting and re-creating the period. Would appreciate any advise Thank You

I live in the PNW so figured the logical choice for me would be the NWG as I am leaning to be a "company man" so thats what I did, 19 gauge 36" barreld NWG, you wont lose much in the point-ability between a 36" vs a 42" unless in heavy cover, but you should see slightly better patterns unless you opt for a jug choke, then you would end up mostly even.

Several things you need to figure out is actual time frame, ethnic origin of character, social status, etc. The .62 smoothbore is an good place to start. The fact you're in Illinois does give you the French or English option. Pin down your time frame and we'll be glad to make recommendations. Tulle fusil would be fine for French period militia but probably didn't last very long past when the French gave up North American holdings...I'm thinking couple of decades at most. Still some debate about NW trade guns in white settlers hands but it's not out of the question. Lot of ways to go. Eastern or southern style fowling-piece is a nice gun with usual comfortable fit. Recommend getting as long a barrel as you can use with ease. 46" has never presented a problem even in brush areas. Lots to think about. Good luck.

Thank you for all your information,yes i do have alot to consider. I do have a Hatfield 36cal flintlock that i brought several years ago, a very fine rifle. What i want to do is decide on a smoothbore then buy it in kitform and build it myself, like i do not care for fancies or silver and brass, but like plain iron.

have just discovered this forum and since i'am getting back into muzzleloading hunting i would like to re-create the pre 1800 era.

like i do not care for fancies or silver and brass, but like plain iron.

This is about the plainest of the plain for the 18th Century.

This is the Carolina Type G English Trade Gun circa 1700 maybe earlier, to about 1780. It was as close to being mass produced as any arm could be during that era.

It was so plain that sometimes they were simply painted to make them more attractive. The butt plate is simple sheet brass and It's nailed on. The trigger guard is also simple sheet brass. For the era it's about the plainest gun made.

Keep in mind it's plain to 18th Century standards where even the most mundane things showed artistry in their manufacture. A perfect example is this.
Note the curl on The Lancastershire saw, note how it's formed and sculpted. for no other purpose but looks. This most likely is not a 200 year old saw because that pattern was made into the 1930s, virtually unchanged from 18th Century.

The plain Indian Trade gun pictured, still has brass, still has engraving on the side plate, thumb piece, lock and butt plate. Also it's architecture is very artfully done. Compared to guns made a generation or so later and especially now. It's a work of art and not plain at all.

Of course there is always exceptions in history some New England fowling guns were pretty plain but again compared to standards of the day.

Some guns especially Continental guns and maybe very few Southern rifles and guns are found trimmed in iron.

The plain simple rifle or gun trimmed in iron, is really a post 1800 trait.
Link fusils

Back