• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore grouse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor#0

Bushwhacker
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Had a beautiful sunny day so decided to do some stomping around with the smoothbores...

Attachments

• IMG_20231021_140329.jpg
    IMG_20231021_140329.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 3
Oooh Man, I miss grouse hunting!!!
I used to raise and train field bred English Springer Spaniels. Close hunting, "flushing" dogs, and great retrievers, too. Hunted ruffed grouse in up-state New York, Pennsylvania, and Michigan with my dogs.
There used to be some grouse on the mountain tops here in east Tennessee, but now I haven't seen one in several years. And, my last dog died several years ago, too.
I've been thinking of making a grouse and woodcock hunt back up north, but without my dogs it just wouldn't be the same.

Having shot over Dogs Do you shoot over Kids?? O.D.
I took my kids hunting, but none of them ever really "took" to it like I have. They are all grown now with kids of their own and none of them hunt. Only one of my grandsons is a fisherman. He has been a great companion and fishing pardner to me. Although he doesn't hunt, he has helped me drag a deer out of the woods, hang it up, and skin it.

I grew up hunting rabbits with beagles. As an adult I tried several different breeds of bird dogs. The big running pointers didn't suit my hunting style. Also, since I was doing a lot of waterfowl hunting in those days as well as upland game, I didn't want a large dog such as a Labrador that would probably overturn my canoe when it jumped out to retrieve a duck. So, I looked for a medium sized dog of around 40 - 50 pounds that would hunt close, flush the game, and retrieve it from land and water. The field bred strains of English Springer Spaniel fit my requirements exactly.
My Rosie (November Rose) was a hunting machine. Plus, while on a wilderness canoe trip in Canada Rose keep a black bear out of our camp as the bear prowled around just outside the limit of our campfire light. That was a sleepless night, and at first light I packed up camp, and Rosie and I jumped into the canoe and got out of there!

Good day seeing folks with enough birds to hunt. Here in Pennsy. , they say the West Nile flu has killed off the grouse population. The Pa. Blame Commission has stocked the woods where birds live , with martins , and another giant weasel to further decimate the population of birds. Sad days here. Blame Comm. - stupid

I took my kids hunting, but none of them ever really "took" to it like I have. They are all grown now with kids of their own and none of them hunt. Only one of my grandsons is a fisherman. He has been a great companion and fishing pardner to me. Although he doesn't hunt, he has helped me drag a deer out of the woods, hang it up, and skin it.

I grew up hunting rabbits with beagles. As an adult I tried several different breeds of bird dogs. The big running pointers didn't suit my hunting style. Also, since I was doing a lot of waterfowl hunting in those days as well as upland game, I didn't want a large dog such as a Labrador that would probably overturn my canoe when it jumped out to retrieve a duck. So, I looked for a medium sized dog of around 40 - 50 pounds that would hunt close, flush the game, and retrieve it from land and water. The field bred strains of English Springer Spaniel fit my requirements exactly.
My Rosie (November Rose) was a hunting machine. Plus, while on a wilderness canoe trip in Canada Rose keep a black bear out of our camp as the bear prowled around just outside the limit of our campfire light. That was a sleepless night, and at first light I packed up camp, and Rosie and I jumped into the canoe and got out of there!
What I acuately meant was HOW DO YOU GET THE KIDS TO "DROP" TO SHOT??? Sorry, British sence of humour.. OLD DOG..

Thanks for everyone's replies, we live in the Alaska bush and thanks to Starlink we now have access to the intranet. I certainly enjoy this forum! Crisco kid I took no offence, we hunt to put food on the table not for sport. My kids have grown up hunting, fishing, trapping and I'm glad they took an interest in muzzleloading. Rancocas, if I was to get another dog it would most likely be an english springer spaniel they are not only good hunting dogs but good family dogs as well.

Latest posts

Back