• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smokeless powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Father still has two boxes of govt factory ammo 45-70 ammo left over from the spanish american war they were semi-smokeless "duplex" loads. Today 45-70 factory loads are kept to around 17,000 psi with smokeless powder for trapdoor reasons.
The point that I am trying make is that smokeless can be worked below 5000 psi or over 100,000 psi depending on what kind and the amount that is used.
Anything can be over loaded with any powder, that was not the original question that was ask on this thread. The question was why cant smokeless powder be used in a muzzle loader?
Sharps caseless breach loaders have been around for years, so that blows the brass case gas seal theory out of the picture.
The other Item that was mentioned on this thread was dangerous underloaded smokeless powder loads. That is a rare, still unknown phenomal character with only some doublebase ball powders.
If you guys also remember some years ago Freedom Arms made and sold a small 22cal belt buckle cap lock revolver that had a factory recommended smokeless powder load.
Another item is that all modern firearm manufatures will not warranty or take liability with their firearms with reloaded ammo because of human error.
Now, ML manufactures have to allow the purchaser to load their own MLs or they wont work. But they make sure that they rule out human error by stamping "BLACK POWDER ONLY" on their products.
As for the Remington barrel "lawsuit" that was mentioned,lets not start any wivestales on this forum.
There has been no class action trial regarding these matters. The Class Plaintiffs have not proven any of their claims, and Remington and DuPont have not proven any of their defenses. Instead of engaging in long and costly litigation, the parties have agreed to a settlement, which the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas (in San Antonio) has approved as fair, reasonable and adequate.
So again I feel strongly about safety and safe advise to fellow shooters, but I will not use misleading information to promote safety.

The Sharps caseless breech loaders were never designed for the pressures that smokeless powder can (and will) produce. Add to this that those guns used a common Musket Cap and they have the same leakage problem that all guns using a percussion cap have. That problem is a uncontrolled leak in the chamber.
No one should even think of using a smokeless powder in one of them.

Back