• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Powder Measure for Percussion Squirrel Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiochuck

Lifetime Supporter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a powder measure to use with small charges for a .32 cal percussion rifle.
Measures that are easy to set for very small charges to test different amounts of BP for best accuraacy.
Suggestions please?

Last edited:
Fired un-mentionable casing. Preferably a straight walled case. Punch out the primer file off the cal. designation on the head of the case insert a wire loop in the primer hole for a lanyard attachment, Figure out the black powder charge grs. you want to pour in the case, mark the case and file to length. Cheap and easy to make.

Most pet stores have antler, and you just cut and drill a hole.
A hard wood dowel from the hardware store
An altoids tin can be cut and rolled in to a tin cone and cut off to your needs
Track of the wolf has nice little brass measures, and crazy crow some nice little horn ones
Hot dipped tin has tge tin chargers that were sold with trade guns, easy to cut off

The wood one is a copy of starter in museum of the fur trade and has a hole as a charger, the second shows a track brass one and one made from an antler piece. It says I carry the seeds of freedom
IMG_3185.jpeg
IMG_3181.jpeg
IMG_5802.jpeg

Last edited:
Measures that are easy to set for very small charges
Any of the common adjustable measure will do that, might as well get one that goes all the way to 120.
It's really not a matter of what the slide scale settings say,,, it's simply being able to adjust it,
aka: "it pours this much". And "this much" works best.
When ya find "how much" works (by volume) then you can make one that will hold "that much" that will be easier to pour into that tiny 32 hole.

Since I use 3f in my .32 rifle and I have a revolver/pistol flask full of 3f, I just put a small spout of the desired grains on the flask and throw charges. I do then dump the premeasured charges into a separate measure then into the bore, because, safety you know. For development I have adjustable measures and a clear plastic test-tube like measure graduated in grains that is very handy for checking what other measures are actually throwing.

Looking for a powder measure to use with small charges for a .32 cal percussion rifle.
Measures that are easy to set for very small charges to test different amounts of BP for best accuraacy.
Suggestions please?
Load up a bunch of plastic tubes with the caps on the ends ahead of time and have fun at the range or out shooting. No wasted time measuring out powder.

Find a empty cartridge case that holds amount you want or file one down to your charge volume

I have both the 50 gr and 120 gr adjustable measures with spout. Have used both with a 32 and the spout (or a funnel) is helpful with the small bore. Whenever I use a fixed measure I lose a few grains.

There are small hand gun powder measures, that start around five grains and go up to ....I forget, 30 grains or so? Should be pretty easy to find.

As others have suggested, a measure can be made from almost anything. I have made fixed measures from copper tubing. I simply squash one end in a vice and drill a hole in the squashed part for a thong. The tubing can then be cut down in stages until you get the desired amount. Not much work and very low cost.

Stonewall Creek Outfitters has this 0 to 30 grain pistol measure.

http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com/powder-measures/
Adjustable measures are nice for initially figuring out a load, but I prefer a fixed measure, particularly for smaller calibers like a 32. Stonewall Creek that @Grenadier1758 suggested, also have fixed measures available for $5. Their 20 and 30 grain ones are only 3/8” diameter and work well with the 32s. If you want a charge between what they offer you can always give a larger one a haircut. They have a through hole in the base that allows you to attach a tether so it doesn’t find it’s way to lost and found.
1683151229180.jpeg

Think about making your measure from 1/4" or 5/16" brass tubing. I have found that measures with a large diameter chamber make it difficult to use without spilling when used on small bore rifles.

You may also find a 30-30 fired case holds an accurate charge for your rifle.

I suppose I've used about everything suggested above to come up with fixed measures for rifles. But generally I use a regular (large) adjustable measure to find a load. Once that's done I use a piece of antler, wood, rivercane or empty brass cases to hold precisely that amount of powder. They are then marked with the amount. Here are just a few scattered measures.

Load up a bunch of plastic tubes with the caps on the ends ahead of time and have fun at the range or out shooting. No wasted time measuring out powder.
Very good advice. For hunting, especially squirrel hunting where I most always shoot multiple times, small plastic lab tubes with caps that contain premeasured powder charges are great. Quick and easy and no concerns of moisture. Don't have to pack around a powder horn, powder measure or flask either. For range work, unless one plans on experimenting with different powder charges, the use of premeasured charges in tubes are still beneficial. I still take along a powder horn and keep it in my truck just in case, but seldom need it.

Another benefit to using premeasured charges in tubes is, one can save on powder. I place a sheet of paper on the table or bench to catch spilled powder from the powder measure. If one uses a powder measure with the hinged spout, when moving the spout over before pouring in the powder, you would be surprised at the amount of powder one can spill after multiple shots. With a .32 that uses a whole, whopping 20 grains of 3F, I find that by the time I am done filling tubes or testing, I often have enough powder on a sheet of paper to get an additional shot, or nearly so. It adds up and is certainly better than just allowing powder to spill on the ground or into a trash can.

Any kind of black powder measure will work after one determines the desired powder charge.

Last edited:
Back