• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Belt Axe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished this up today. 11” oal and 16 ounces. Scraped and burnished Hickory handle stained with alcohol dye and finished with bear grease. Been needing/wanting a small hatchet to carry around while hunting. I think I will make a shoulder slung sheath for it. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• EE521D2A-5EC4-4BC4-9678-51D06A82625B.jpeg
    EE521D2A-5EC4-4BC4-9678-51D06A82625B.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 935FA530-5379-4B33-A33D-10FFB5C71A77.jpeg
    935FA530-5379-4B33-A33D-10FFB5C71A77.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 05AE09BC-458B-4BFC-BC24-BD108B09C3C6.jpeg
    05AE09BC-458B-4BFC-BC24-BD108B09C3C6.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 131
I used a larger axe and used my 2X72 belt grinder and files with a bunch of finish hand sanding.. Removed a bunch of steel to get it down to where it would be light enough to carry around. It is some very good steel that sparks to beat the band and will shave your beard as it sits. I want to forge one eventually but for now this one will do.

Good use of a useless tool! From growing up in the jungles of South America I’m very proficient with machete. I never understood why anyone would use an ax or a hatchet over a machete. The more I was around American made axes and hatchet I realize they were so blunt. Way to much metal in the head! The last couple of years I’ve been carrying around a forged belt hatchet while I’m hunting. Was a much thinner blade and a sharp edge it’s a total be reckoned with! So when I say good use of a useless tool I mean way to turn a overly heavy blunt cutting object into a nice slim hatchet!! Can we see a picture of the edge geometry from above to get an idea of the thickness of the bit?

Not real clear, hard to do with a cell phone but here is the edge

Attachments

• E5DE0430-631C-4DCB-8606-7E96EA7C0B8A.jpeg
    E5DE0430-631C-4DCB-8606-7E96EA7C0B8A.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 49
  • BC9B6355-2ADF-4A8D-BD80-1CCA585699F2.jpeg
    BC9B6355-2ADF-4A8D-BD80-1CCA585699F2.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 55
H
Good use of a useless tool! From growing up in the jungles of South America I’m very proficient with machete. I never understood why anyone would use an ax or a hatchet over a machete. The more I was around American made axes and hatchet I realize they were so blunt. Way to much metal in the head! The last couple of years I’ve been carrying around a forged belt hatchet while I’m hunting. Was a much thinner blade and a sharp edge it’s a total be reckoned with! So when I say good use of a useless tool I mean way to turn a overly heavy blunt cutting object into a nice slim hatchet!! Can we see a picture of the edge geometry from above to get an idea of the thickness of the bit?
Have you ever tried to chop down a 12 in diameter oak tree with a machete?? Go to a wood chopping contest with top competitors and you‘ll see what a GOOD American made axe looks like. Ace might be the place for homeowner goods, but if you want an axe with a proper grind thats not where you go get it.. Oddly enough, Voluntown Connecticut is / was home to David Geer, multiple time world champion lumberjack, his neighbor, Sven Johnson, multiple time power sawing champion, and another neighbor Gibby Ingalls, multiple time axe chopping champ. Amazingly, Gib was still chopping a couple years ago and he was 81. Warning, Dont bring a machete to an axe chopping contest.

H

Have you ever tried to chop down a 12 in diameter oak tree with a machete?? Go to a wood chopping contest with top competitors and you‘ll see what a GOOD American made axe looks like. Ace might be the place for homeowner goods, but if you want an axe with a proper grind thats not where you go get it.. Oddly enough, Voluntown Connecticut is / was home to David Geer, multiple time world champion lumberjack, his neighbor, Sven Johnson, multiple time power sawing champion, and another neighbor Gibby Ingalls, multiple time axe chopping champ. Amazingly, Gib was still chopping a couple years ago and he was 81. Warning, Dont bring a machete to an axe chopping contest.
Different terrains, different missions, different needs.

H

LOL!! I have not tried cutting a oak tree that size with a machete! I have cut other trees that are that diameter with the machete. I have cut many a Oak branch that was up to 6 inches in diameter. Interestingly enough the tables for the most part are turned here in the US. It’s hard to find a quality machete without special ordering online from a dealer that carry’s foreign brands. A well-designed ax that is sharp will make a lot of chips fly! But you pretty much have to use a custom axe to achieve that.

Not real clear, hard to do with a cell phone but here is the edge
Nice! That should work! I think you could take it back to the grinder and thin it down even more if you wanted though. Just my 2 cents! I like a thin bit on a hatchet!

Back