• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slow work on a Woods Runner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Got this kit in early March and have been picking at it for a long time. At the beginning I had intended to make a cap for the patch box and even bought a piece of brass for it. Then after a false start convinced myself that it would be too difficult. The only other one I had made was in 1980 and was flat. These compound curves of the Kibler seemed overwhelming! Then thanks to Dave’s write up it seemed possible. What I’d heard all my life about some questionable things was “beat to form and file to fit” and here is proof that it can be done that way! After annealing the brass it was beat to form then glued and screwed before filing to fit.
Thanks Dave!
AED881B7-0627-49A0-9145-2187E52C78EC by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

That looks great, I think it looks better having a brass cap on the lid to match the butt plate. I was going to attempt it on my Colonial but after hearing in one of Jim's videos that unless it is done very well it can look worse than not having one I decided against it. Yours looks very nicely done.

Good job Phil! Now get to finishing it up and have some fun! I did!!

Phill Can you describe your process on that brass lid plate. I've already screwed up one patchbox lid and have another one on order. The one I messed up I took the curve out of the wood and made a flat one but it looks like hell. Looks like you shaped the brass to the curve in the wood??

Back