• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slow Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poor Private

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I may be steping back in time from the civil war.
My current swivel gun is fire by a slap hammer/musket cap. I want to fire it with fuse but I don't want to strike it with a modern match. I want to use a slow match, and wonder where I can get one or how to make one.

Slowmatch is not a thing, it is match cord. Search the internet to make some -- it's easy. And you can always buy some. Note if you make your own: less is more.

There is more to the cord than the cord--I want plans or a place to build/buy the holder also. And what the heck do you mean by "it's not a thing"?

Poor Private said:
...I don't want to strike it with a modern match. I want to use a slow match, and wonder where I can get one or how to make one.

It is not "a" slow match and you can't get "one" is what I mean. IT isn't a THING to be gotten. Again, slow match is cord soaked in a nitrate solution and let very evenly dry.

The other "thing" it also isn't is a linstock to hold it; that can be made out of a branch and a wire hanger.

You are going to have to make an effort...
http://www.metamuseum.com/us/slowmatch/

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow match is made by soaking cotton cord in a solution of potassium nitrate (salt peter). It used to be available in drugstores. Dissolve about 3 or 4 tablespoons of potassium nitrate in a quart of water. Then put your cord in the water and let it soak until it has soaked completely through. I don't know if cotton sash cord is still sold in stores but it was about the right diameter. Lacking that, try to find the largest diameter binding twine that you can. Binding twine is actually smaller in diameter than you want but, if you cannot find cotton sash cord, it is probably the next best thing.

Soak your cord and then lay it out to dry. Do not hang it or the nitrates will migrate to the lowest point on your cord rather than being evenly distributed throughout the cord. It is the same principle as Dutch Schoultz recommends for drying patch material that you have soaked in his recommended solution. Once dry, it should smolder at a nice even rate and not go out.

The cannoneers that I know used to buy cotton clothesline, and soak/boil that in the potassium nitrate solution..but they've had trouble recently finding all cotton...seems that makers have snuck in some polyester to help strengthen it ...so just be sure if you DIY it that you have zero synthetic fibers.

LD

And cotton burns pretty fast compared to some others, you have to boil the lignin bonds and starch in clothesline and sash-cord out first, etc...

Do follow some of the directions on the internet.

Note Two: Wipe the finished, dried, product off on the entire outside with a slightly damp rag by pulling it through the rag in your hand, using a new bit of rag every few feet. Then throw rag away. Keep the slow match. If it "sparkles," "pops," in use then use the same cord but start all over again and with half the nitrate.

Yep, when I used to crew on a cannon, the all cotton clothesline is what we used. That was quite a few years ago and even then we had difficulty finding pure cotton clothesline. I don't think the all cotton rope like that is even made any more. I have not looked for cotton sash cord but I'll bet that what is now available, if it is even made any more, is not pure cotton. Everything seems to have gone to the stronger and more durable synthetics.

When you are ready for the potassium nitrate, go to the hardware store or garden supply and look for the stump remover. Most of them will be potassium nitrate and a lot cheaper than buying the potassium nitrate at a pharmacy.

Ok, now you guys have given me plenty on the match, but how about the holder? I just don't want to hold the end of the rope in my hands. or fling it at it. I want some kind of holder for it.

If worse came to worse, you could use an old fashioned spring type cloths pin, glued to a 2 foot length of wood.

It wouldn't look very HC but it would do the job without putting your fingers to close to a prime/touch hole.

use a piece of broom handle cut to length drill a hole 1.5 to 2 inches down from end feed slow match through hole one wrap above hole and the rest below so it touches the previous wrap at the end tuck end under last wrap. you can just twist the whole cord to loosen the top then pull more through.thats how we did it works great.now you can just lay the end of the stick on the barrel and roll the slow match over on the fuse.
hope this helps

Fulminator said:
I just use my zippo and wear the burns with pride.
:youcrazy:
Sorry, but when your at a period event you sure don't want to use a Zippo, or even a Bic. When your doing cannon demos thats going to get you into trouble with both your spectators, and the event host. Nothing like being heckeled from the spectators or not asked back as the next event there. If you want to use it at home or at family get-togethers go for it, it's your choice. But for me if I am doing it I am going to try to do it right.

This is my cannon starter.
th_linstock1_zpsnmzcycrr.jpg
[/URL][/img]
th_linstock_zpsloqolm8c.jpg
[/URL]
[/img]
(Pete.)

On the contrary, I carry a Mini Bic with me and use it at every event. Not just to light stuff but to demonstrate that wheelock to everyone...

Here is a fancy linstock I made for my own full scale cannon....
2014Linstock7_zps563401eb.jpg

2014Linstock1_zps39fedc16.jpg

2014Linstock4_zps109fd4c0.jpg

2014Linstock3_zps24b902fc.jpg

2014Linstock2_zps09e66374.jpg

2014Linstock6_zpsdadda0e0.jpg

CannonShoot3.jpg

You can make a simple one by cutting the primer end off a brass rifle or pistol case and soldering it to the top of a piece of brass or steel rod (1/4 inch diameter) and then mounting the rod in the end of a length of dowel or broom handle.

davec2 said:
You can make a simple one by cutting the primer end off a brass rifle or pistol case and soldering it to the top of a piece of brass or steel rod (1/4 inch diameter) and then mounting the rod in the end of a length of dowel or broom handle.

Or, use some wire hanger in a branch handle I think someone said. LOL As for fancy linstock...

...yea, I'd say. Jeez!

Back