• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

slow match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Klaneski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been trying to use the matchlock rope that Dixie Gun Works sells to light the fuse on my mortar and cannons but find that there just isn't enough heat on that small diameter piece. So I've dug out my old recipe and am about to make my own slow match again: First I clean my rope in a pan with one or two teaspoons of detergent and dry it. Then I take a tablespoon full of salt peter and dissolve in in warm water. Add this and your rope to another gallon of war water making a brine. Let it sit for four or five days giving it a stir now and then. Then remove the rope and air dry it.

That's a mighty weak "brine" you have there. I would be more inclined to call that a slightly brackish solution.

I was told the best thing you can do is use a potash solution to remove some of the fibre (less ash on the match) and then use a wash of vinegar.

From there, do the saltpeter thing.

This is true. I stole the word from the gentleman who gave me his recipe years ago. But it's a good sounding word.

Can you be more specific? I'm forever blowing on the linstock prior to firing to blow away the ash and to have a good hot tip. Thanks.

I have had a hard time finding potassium nitrate- saltpeter. I was able find 2 lbs of stump remover made of potassium nitrate at an old hardware store. Make sure you check the label because all stump remover is not potassium nitrate.

To make the make slow match using stump remover. I mix 3 table spoons in 4 cups cold water.

For fuse body I used 1/4 in braided cotton sash cord with synthetic insert.

I cut a 10 foot length of and pulled the synthetic core out. I soaked the cord over night in the stump remover solution. I layed it in the yard to dry. The left over solution I put in the freezer for future use.

I did a burn test and it burned 13 inches in one hour with no ash and no blowing to keep in going

For a linstock I picked up a couple of balusters at Lowes. The longest of each type that was available.

One, prepainted and with a square top is 42 inches long, the other unpainted in an oakish looking bare wood with a round top.

I made the linstock similair to the a pictures of an original Linstock.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

i have never used a fuse, quill/tube or any thing else for ignition of the cannon.
Have u tried without a fuse and 3fg for prime?

I'm not sure the diameter but I got some Red Dragon slow match, I do know it was thicker than the gggodwin slow match. Red Dragon used to be sold on ebay but paypal shut em down :shake:
you can ask them the diameter at [email protected]

I use a fairly fancy linstock I made many years ago. The cotton cordage is soaked in a very saturated solution of potassium nitrate and water. The only down side is that is burns fairly fast. I finally got tired of dealing with the slow / unreliable ignition and now prime the vent with 3F black but prime the vent pan with old, junk, smokeless powder (i.e. powder removed from unloaded ammunition, etc.) Even with the low heat of just a smoldering cotton rope with no nitrate, the smokeless catches immediately and smoothly sets off the black.

Linstock1.jpg

Linstock2.jpg

Linstock3.jpg

Mate, the best description I have ever seen is from a gent in Switzerland.

check his instructions:
http://musketeer.ch/blackpowder/lunte.html

Notice that he uses a braided cord rather than a twisted one?

Thanks for the excellent info. I always use braided cord, usually recycled window sash cord that I get from carpenter friends. That fine old rope has no starch in it or man made cores. Fortunately, I haven't emptied my ash bucket yet from last winter. I'm going to give this new recipe a try. Thanks again. Firekeeper.

Back