• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

slobbering over .40's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one of the reasons i love my state of SC and the county i live in we can do almost anything we want on private land. "the way it should be" we can hunt with any black powder caliber and any centerfire. we have freedom! i have been hunting all my life i am 63 and have never had a game warden come on any private land and ask me anything. that being said we have a personal and ethical responsibility to game animals. personally i think if you are a seasoned hunter with self control a 40 is fine for deer up to 150 lbs. or so. if you don't feel comfortable with a smaller caliber get a bigger one. it is all about shot placement and penetration no matter what caliber you use,,,,,,,,,,

hanshi that is a good looking gun, what is it? who made it?

It was built by Matt Avance at TVM many years ago. I had it mounted in German silver just to be contrary. It also has an engraved thumbpiece with my initials. It's a late Lancaster style and the barrel is a "B" wgt X 38" GM barrel. It's a bit weighty at 8 lbs 1 oz but the heft and balance are superb. The swamped tube makes it a joy.

.40 is not legal for deer here in PA. But the man who got me into muzzleloading for the first flintlock season back in 1975 used a Forty for his deer hunting, just because he liked the rifle (he had built it himself, and you might take it for an original}, and it would do its part if he did his. Game wardens we encountered said: "We don't care about that stuff, we just want you to have a good time." Then they told us where to go to see more deer.

Richard/Grumpa

Here is my 40. Its a boring percussion Hawken Squirrel rifle built by John Bergmann. Shoots great and I like it

IMG_0147.JPG

Love my .40, killed bout everything I can kill in Oklahoma.

Attachments

• E1138420-E72A-4690-875B-7F1DAE5DD653.jpeg
    E1138420-E72A-4690-875B-7F1DAE5DD653.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 115
  • CEEF1D53-29A5-41DD-BBBD-C0EE7CCB7170.jpeg
    CEEF1D53-29A5-41DD-BBBD-C0EE7CCB7170.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 114
40 with a round ball, at 75 yards is about the same as a 32 S/W Long in the energy department. I encourage anyone who has not made up their mind to do their own investigation.

The last thing we need is wounded deer running around. It is cruel. IT can invite attention from the animal rights crowd. That is a very bad thing.

My 40 is the most accurate of my six rifles. It never needs tinkering or tweaking, not at all particular about load. I shoot 55 gr. fff, .395 ball, pillow ticking ( .018), lubed w/ bees wax/grapeseed oil. In terms of performance, it is the most predictable and consistent stick I own. You really need at least one 40......

Back