• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling for muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d do it differently next time...
That's quite nice for a first piece!
I could use it on my poor boy, which doesn't have a butt plate or a patch box. I might borrow your idea.
But with your patch box, I would take what you have, and revise the leather butt piece to make a loop, and position it behind the trigger guard, like in Flint62Smoothie's photo, and then you can use the patch box.
Just a free idea... 🤠

I played with that idea AND thought it would work better for me, I didn’t, because I basically straight up copied someone else’s commercial design and thought I’d start there first.

I’ll go on record stating that leather stitching takes WAY longer than I imagined. No I understand why leather goods are expensive and I have tons of respect for excellence. There is an art there in just the simplest of application.

Some were talking about putting sling swivels on their frontstuffer. I might be called out for some kind of heretic, but I put a set on my old Navy Arms sxs 12 gauge years ago and still have it on there. It's just too handy for me. I used a Uncle Mike's quick detachable set up for a 30/30 lever action. Installed the stud just above the toe of the stock and the front mount that clamps onto the modern gun's magazine tube is on ferrule for the ramrod. I used a wide nylon easy adjustable strap for years on it, but a couple of years ago switched to a cloth/leather strap I saw at Wally World and liked.

I wonder if there is brass hardware attachable somehow to provide
a vintage looking sling swivel?

This is typically what you will find for "vintage" sling hardware. Not brass but steel. I'm not sure I'd trust brass hardware myself to support an 8 to 10 pound firearm.

The large button goes in the buttstock where we would typically install a QD sling swivel on modern firearms, the other typically goes wherever on the forearm with a cross drilled pin between the barrel and ramrod.

The rear button can go through a round hole in the sling and would require unscrewing the button to remove, or it can use a "button hole" slot that allows you to work the sling off without unscrewing the button.The front "swivel" allows a simple buckle to adjust sling length, and sling removal.
Screenshot_20220804-122431_Gallery.jpg

Back