• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sitting Fox rifles how are they?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farren55

40 Cal.
Reaction score
looking into getting a sitting fox Jaeger (either Germanic or Rustic) and I'm wondering how is the quality on those beauties, and how they compare to the cost they have.

Thanks!

Not really up to date on sitting fox but Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders makes a fine one, .32 to .58 cals and siler locks, anyway the Jaeger is a good choice which ever way ya go, enjoy.

I have never had any direct dealings w/ Sitting Fox but I've owned one of their rifles. I traded with a man in Michigan for it. This somewhat Jaeger-ish looking gun was real clubby looking but maybe that's what the owner wanted. I took a rasp to it and refinished. It did shoot well.

That looks like their Transitional Jager! lovely looking gun, and it makes me want one more...

Actually it was a little too chunky or bloated for me, this pic is the same rifle a few months later after a re-shape, refinish.

I ordered a Fusil de Chasse kit from Sitting Fox. It is practically identical to the TotW kit, but better price. The wood is a nice walnut with some striping.

My only complaint is that the barrel came with slotted lugs (to use with wedges) and the plan calls for solid lugs to drill for pins.

When I questioned this, Ray told me it was to allow for expansion while shooting. BS answer in anyone's book, and I was put off by his failure to even offer to make it right - of course mailing the barrel to get 3 - $2 lugs replaced would have been kinda pricey, so I'll just do it myself. I was looking for a shortcut & it didn't work out. With that in mind, I'd think twice about giving him any more of my business, nor recommending him. Guess it's luck of the draw.

Actually Ray has a point about using a slotted lug to allow for the expansion of the wood in the stock due to humidity changes and weather changes as well as expansion of the barrel as it heats up during repeated firing. Now you may not have much change in humidity or normal temperature in Arizona, but the barrel will heat up.

That said, I agree that he should have used a solid lug drilled for pins with a slight elongation parallel to the barrel to deal with the expansion. That's the common practice among the builders that I consult. Admittedly they mostly build guns in their basement, but they also place highly in national matches so I tend to listen to them.

Sitting Fox does not build rifles. He supplies his kits to various builders scattered throughout the country. His deal is that if you build two rifles for him he will supply a third kit to you at no charge. Depending on who actually built the rifle you may get a really good one or you may not. Either way you should get a good serviceable rifle for the money, its just that some builds are better than some others.

Incidentally, the underlugs should be slotted, even for pins. As the barrel heats up it will elongated and if the lugs are not slotted the forestock will start to pull on the barrel, usually causing vertical stringing.

Back