• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Siler lock fires from half cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berdar

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi all,

My dads 81 year old best friend recently built a Southern Mountain styled rifle for me. He did this while recovering from open heart surgery to replace a valve and then having a stroke.

DTyj0U1

KKhKVlX

Due to his condition, the fit and finish aren’t what they could have been. I don’t care though, I love this rifle more than any other that I have.

The lock works as expected out of the stock. In the stock, it will fire from the half cock position. It has a single, non set trigger. It appears that the trigger bar is pressing up on the seat, ever so slightly.

Before I file down the trigger bar, I wanted to touch base with a larger knowledge base. Has anyone run across this? What would you do if this was your rifle?

If the sear nose is in the notch, it shouldn't fire from half cock. See if the sear bar is hitting wood and holding the sear nose out of the notch. Something is keeping it from seating completely into the tumbler notch. Also see if there is a tiny bit of slop between the trigger bar and the sear bar. The trigger bar shouldn't be riding the sear bar. At least not accidentally. Some folks put a small spring in the trigger assy. to hold them together.

The lock works as expected out of the stock. In the stock, it will fire from the half cock position. It has a single, non set trigger. It appears that the trigger bar is pressing up on the seat, ever so slightly.

Before I file down the trigger bar, I wanted to touch base with a larger knowledge base. Has anyone run across this? What would you do if this was your rifle?
The highlighted part of your quote explains what is happening.

In order for the sear to fully enter the half cock notch (and the full cock notch) the blade on the trigger must not touch the sear arm when the trigger is pushed to its fully forward position. In other words, the trigger should exert no pressure at all on the sear arm when no one is touching it.

File off some of the top of the triggers blade to fix it. It might take several attempts to get it right but unless it is, the gun is unsafe.

Thank you Zonie and ec121.

I took a bit off of the top of the trigger blade then noticed the lock had a little bit of cant when I run the screw down. I took a tiny slice of wood out where the sear bar meets the stock.

It all went back together perfectly and now functions as described.

Thank you again.

Back