• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Side mounted ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruzer1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was doing some more research on an early 16th century Spanish matchlock I am building and they mentioned that it had a ramrod mounted on the side of the gun:
".... the ramrod was fastened externally to the left side of the stock. Although none remains, a small iron loop near the muzzle and a threaded hook opposite the lockplate show that it was retained by passing it through the loop and, with a couple of turns, screwing it onto the end of the hook."

There are no pictures and I am considering doing this in my build (although plenty of other early 16th century matchlocks did have under barrel ramrods so still might do that).

My question -does anyone have pictures of any period guns with externally mounted ramrods?

If not, anyone have any hardware ideas to simulate this?

Since my build is really pulling some design elements from several guns of this period I might not go this way but thought it might be an interesting discussion.

I have made a number of matchlocks and wheel locks
with 'key hole' groves for the ram rod but never
heard of the side mounted kind. Anybody who made a
swivel rifle might be of some help....
Wulf

I have an over under flintlock with a side mounted rod but I doubt that would help :(

I think you should make it. Getting a full bore-length ram rod on to a gun without pushing the trigger guard backwards has never been easy.

I am inclined to build it from the description (which seems simple enough). I plan to do some hunting with it when complete, but we don't have many tree's where I hunt so the chances of it catching on a branch is pretty slim :)

If nothing else I can do the "traditional" ramrod down the road if I really hate it (or carry a ramrod in my pack).

Back