• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sibley tents?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I are confused,
I'v seen a stove and tripod on some antque web sites, and one discription that says the stove pipe was the center pole.
can any one shed some light on this?
does anyone make a repro of the sibley stove?
thanks
BB
its cold capn brag

Read John Billing's Hard Tack & Coffee for more info on the Sibley Tent. They were teepee shape tents and the men were packed in there like spoons. If one rolled over, they all had to roll over in unison. As the war went on, the Sibley were discarded in favor of the pup tent.

looks like I'v stumped the board. :hmm:
guess I'll have to go to the pattent office.

BB
take a memmo capn bragg

well got one question answered,
seems the one example of a tripod floating around,
has a solid bottom to the sockett, so with a pole and tripod, you would have to run the pipe up next to the pole, still wounder if the pipe for a pole discription was an early version that proved to unstable in the wind. :hmm:

and wow :shocked2: I cant believe the army used sibley stoves for over 80 years, clear up till
thay upgraded to the M-1941 barrel stove,
you would have thot, it would have got upgraded during wwI
BB
better modernize capn bragg

Rough & Ready,
The Sibley tent when used with a stove had a tripod to support its central pole. The stove pipe went up beside it to the open peak. Gary was right in the fact that in the Civil War the men assigned to a tent were overcrowded. The war department later after the war reduced the number assigned to each tent. The Sibley was used by the U.S. through the Indian Wars by the calvary and infantry when supported by baggage train or in bivwac for extended periods.
Doctor George Hocker at the Will Allen Hospital at the NSSA HQ at Fort Shannandoah had this facility in the begining housed in a stockaded Sibly tent.
After the Civil War General Sibly, CSA, sued the U.S. government for their patent infringement on adopting and using this tent.
A good sheet metal shop can easily fabricate one of these stoves out of 16 gauge metal. A tripod would need to be done from the patent drawings. I've seen home made tripods done that functioned just as well. Done right this is a great tent but a little labor intensive for probably just over night unless you have lots of help.
as usual,
Spot

so does any one have a mortality date for the sibley tent?
when did the army go to the pyramid tent?
BB

found it.
apperantly there was a 1907 version, of the round and pointy. that used a special stove pipe.
for the center pole.
thay also added a steel shelf to the stove.
for keepin your coffie warm, I guess. it must not have worked out to good, becouse you dont see to many like that in the pictures.
and 10 minutes later thay went to the pyramid.
which interestingly enough used the old tripod and stove set up.
BB

Here's the patent drawing and description for Sibley's "CONICAL TENT." April 22, 1856, Pat. No. 14,740.

sibley.jpg

Note the tripod footed center pole.

The description reads:

UNITED .STATES PATENT OFFICE.

H. H. SIBLEY, OF THE UNITED STATES ARMY.

CONICAL TENT.

Specification of Letters Patent No. 14,740 dated April 22, 1856.

To whom it may concern:. '

Be it known that I, H. H. SIBLEY, United States Army, have invented a new and Improved Conical Tent; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full and exact description thereof, reference being had to the accompanying drawings and to the letters of reference marked thereon.

The tent is in shape the frustum of a cone ( as shown in Figures 1, 4 and 8) ; the base 18 feet. height 12 feet; the apex 1 ft. 6 inches (Fig. 1); at the apex, or opening at the top. The canvas is held in position by means of an iron ring or wooden hoop (Fig. 9); if the latter, it should be made of the best material of white oak, two inches wide and 1 inch thick. The canvas to be sewed strongly over it and reinforced for 12 or 18 inches down (Fig. 8). Eight holes (dots in Fig. 9) are made around the circumference, through which eight cords (Fig. 9) pass terminating in a wooden knob (Fig. 2), rounded at the top (Fig. 2) and flat at the bottom, three inches in diameter .and three inches thick, with a neck or throat (Fig. 2), to which the cords are fastened, the bottom or flat surface of the knob (Fig. 2) with a hole an inch in diameter and an inch and a half deep (hole Fig. 2), or, in place of this knob an Iron circular plate slightly cupped with a hole in the center, for a spike in the end of the pole to pass through (Fig 2) and with eight holes in the perimeter, for the cords to pass through and be secured (Fig. 3) .

The doorway is 9 feet 2 inches, measured along out of the elements and closed by means of a flap of triangular shape 8 inches at the top, and the ordinary width of canvas at bottom, the straight edge of which, and the upper lap are secured fast, respectively, to one side of the doorway, and across the top-the lower point to have a loop by which it is fastened to one of the tent pins (Fig. 1). To secure a more perfect ventilation, an opening is made in the seam opposite the doorway five feet measured along the seam from the ground up (Fig. 4) ; the half door or opening admits of the wall being raised at the rear of the tent sufficient for all purposes of draft and ventilation. . The fastenings of this door may be best described and understood by assimilating it to the opening in a pair of pantaloons, instead of buttons. Eyelet holes (Fig. 4) are made on the two edges .and they. are brought together and secured by means of a cord (Fig. 4). At proper points on the tent wall, loops should be strongly sewed on, for the purpose of fastening up the canvas of the half door when open (or instead of this opening substitute a doorway in all respects like the one in front, described above (Fig. 4).

The tent is pitched by means of a single pole (Fig. 5) arranged with an iron tripod (Fig. 6) so constructed as that the legs shall work upon strong hinges (Fig. 6) and fold against the pole, to which they are fastened by means of a cord, attached to the pole through a hole (Fig. 5). Each leg is made in the shape of a trough or half cylinder, so that they shall not only fit snugly around the pole, when folded up, but to give them more strength. The tripod to be furnished with a socket three inches deep into which the lower end of the pole fits snugly and is fastened by means of a rivet (Fig. 6), or for the socket, substitute a swivel ring or plate of iron, with a hole through which the end of the pole shod with iron may rest upon a shoulder (Figs. 5 and 6). The legs are 4 ft. 6 inches long, 2 inches wide and ¼ inch thick (Fig. 6). The pole (Fig. 5) from 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick and may be in length half the diameter of the tent base to facilitate the pitching; with an iron pin in the top and a staple at the bottom (Fig. 5) or a hook and chain for hanging a camp kettle or other cooking utensils for boiling. Each leg to have two or more holes for suspending meats for roasting (Fig. 6).

When pitched the space between the legs of the tripod (about 3 feet) is excavated about six inches deep, sloping to the center, and the earth taken out used to form a ridge around the outer edge of the hole to keep the fire, placed there, in position. Twenty four pins have been found amply sufficient for the ground fastening. To assist the escape of smoke in windy weather a triangular piece of canvas (Fig. 7) with an eyelet hole in each angle is fitted by an angle to the pin on the top of the pole, the other angles secured by means of cards to the tent pins (Figs. 7 and 8). To pitch the tent, the points of the four quarters are first secured, the pole is then inserted, the apex raised and the tripod adjusted, the remaining points then drawn taut. It is recommended that red chalk marks, define the three quarters of the tent while the door marks the fourth, to facilitate pitching.

This tent will hold comfortably 20 men with arms and equipments, has the advantage of warmth in cold weather and for cooking in rainy weather, is more .perfectly ventilated and comparatively lighter than any now. known.

Having described my tent as above, I will state generally what I wish to cover by the receipt of Letters Patent.

1. So constructing the tripod or its equivalent device attached to a single pole as to admit of easily building a fire, for the purposes set forth.

2. Constructing the tent as described with its hood or cowl, in combination with the door and half door, or opening to effect ventilation and the escape of smoke.

H. H. SIBLEY.

Witnesses :
L. SIMONS,
R. H. MONSON.

In addition there are at least two stove/center pole patents.

1889 Pat. No 396,846

stove1889.jpg

1894 Pat. No. 522,483

stove1894.jpg

Old Coot

the bottom one looks like the one in quartermaster manual,
I think I saw the long/horizontal stove in a pic somewhere,
kinda like the more modern yukon stove.
bet those are rare.
:hatsoff:
BB

Latest posts