• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Showing off my Snaphaunce

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit2047

36 Cl.
Reaction score
It's obviously a Flintlock, but the category specifically mentioned snaphaunces, so I posted it here. If it is the wrong category, mods please move it. Thank you.

Anyways here is my snaphaunce. Its choc-full-o-silver and ivory. Probably worth more as scrap, but I could never bring myself to destroy a piece of history such as this.

Obviously early to mid 18th century. It's in remarkably good shape cosmetically with only one inlay missing. Action needs a little work and I will get around to it one of these days, just haven't had time.

20210327_173029_HDR_(1).jpg
20210327_173103_HDR_(1).jpg
20210327_173048_HDR_(1).jpg
20210327_173043_HDR_(1).jpg
20210327_173040_HDR_(1).jpg
20210327_173037_HDR_(1).jpg
20210327_173034_HDR_(1).jpg
20210327_173140_HDR_(1).jpg
20210327_173117_HDR_(1).jpg
20210327_173119_HDR_(1).jpg

Its a Moroccan Kabyle and a nice example dating is hard they where made over a long period and in 1965 they where still in use . In Robert Elgoods study of the arms in the Tareg Rajab Museum Kuwait .' Firearms of the Islamic World ' gives it as being fig 37 ' Taouzilt' an early 19th c from the Ras el Oued in the high valley of the Sous. he mentiond noted makers & Tiznit . I've been to Tiznit its up a valley from Agadir . puts it low central of the Atlas ranges. My Atlas isn't detailed enough but it sticks in my memory . .Hope that helps and dos'nt blind you with science . I''me just quoting the book but that's the closest it gives. Main thing is its a very nice example .
Rudyard

NICE!

I have one very similar, just a little bit less adorned. The frizzen was cracked and unfortunately Brian Anderson was not able to repair it for me.

Luckily I got some spare parts from ‘Rick from St. Louis’ (RickStl on here) and I hope to get it shooting someday.

Good luck to you!

Dear Flint 62 . Re the S hance you could make a new battery they are much simpler to make new ones than the common flintlock. Not that its likley to be a regular used rifle well ' gun' never saw a rifled one . Interesting .Re my Tiznit mention I then went up the valley North East towards Taroudant .Its good to see an appreciation of such guns most regard them as' wall hanger 'Camel guns ' Ive seen Tuaregs wearing swords on Camels in Algeria & Mali but in Morocco it was horses seemed more usefull . Rudyard

Hi Rabbir. Welcome to the Forum.

That is a nice Moroccan snaphaunce. And Rudyard's description for your gun is spot on. There are 3-4 general styles and the stock architecture, and sometimes the decoration, will tell you what area of Morocco the gun was made. Yours is a nice example that appears complete (less one inlay). The lock and barrel maintain an attractive dark even patina. The lock on your gun follows the English pattern. Most of the locks on these guns when you find one will not hold in the cocked position. The toe of the sear where it makes contact with the hammer is usually worn down. It seems none of the parts on these Moroccan made locks were ever hardened. They must have required constant maintenance and repair. It takes a fair amount of work to get them operating again for shooting purposes. Often the barrels are marked at the breech, but not always. The locks only show up occasionally with a makers mark. I've long held the belief that the reason for all the multiple barrel bands was not just decoration, but to provide a reasonable amount of strength to the forearm. If you've had the barrel off, you see how long and delicate the forearm stock is.
One has to take care removing the bands. LOL
Again, a nice example.

Rick

Hi,
I hope Rickstl pipes in. Rick, those decorative circles look familiar. The same design is on your Tanchika.
Hi Dave

Yes, the devil's eye. LOL It's not really a religious symbol. It's eyes being open to ward off the devil and/or evil spirits, or something along that line. Those circles show up everywhere on Middle Eastern type arms. Blades, guns, powder flasks, etc. And it seems to extend from across most of the borders in that region.

Yes. A good opportunity to thank you again for your expertise in gun decoration. Two of the four pearl inlays were missing. Your work is so perfect no one would ever notice the repair.

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG

dave

Here is a Moroccan Kabyle from the Tetuan (North Coastal) Region. Note the different butt stock style, with a snaphaunce lock in the Dutch pattern. This one is more plain, but is in firing condition with a Hoyt liner. And a pic of the gun with original accoutrements sill in working order. Fun times !!

Rick
DSC00706 (Medium).JPG
DSC00712 (Medium).JPG
DSC00726 (Medium).JPG
DSC00727 (Medium).JPG
DSC00730 (Medium).JPG

I Kurdistan they call it the "Ava Shaitan" which literally translates to eye of Satan. The myth is that they will protect you from curses and should one break, it saved you from something particularly nasty.

Nice assembley and I restored a gun with that stocking , the gun being made from apparently rejected or surplus 51? Springfield but they didn't want the ' funny' stock shape so stocked it to their taste. But it then was robbed of its brl & lock by US Civil war restorers then thrown the stock aside as rubbish .I grabbed it and finding a Springfield barrel sans its breach and a Belgium flintlock unused but meant to fit the S 'pring field lock if as flint. All from' Sarge' John Hakes who used to set up at Friendship .So I extended the shattered fore end fitted lock & brl made all the bands engraved' VR 'Tower ' and duly took it pig hunting since the bore was a bit catty but fair considering . oh a new gaurd .I just didnt like to see the work thrown away .. The horns allways offered you as' Berber' . I bought mine in Casablanca for the eaqual of a pound in Dirums , which was a tenth of my total expenditure in two months in Maroc. (mostly seeking a route to Mauritania but the border was closed & I stopped at the old harbour masters house in the Port while I sought a working passage south .. I was eariler camped on the coastal dunes where tortoises roamed freely . Suddenly we where surrounded by Troops as the Boy King 'Hassan the 2nd' had a place near by or was swimming hence the troops ( The other part of 'We' was one Burkhart Stowinski a fellow travellor ) ' Since Agadir was mostly destroyed by earth quake in 1960 the buildings in town where basic & recall the tribes men charging their horse at the King in a sort of salute ceremony firing their long Kabyls while the women made repetitive ' Lue' Lue' Lue noises .Then the crowded roof gave way from un planned extra viewers . I've digressed a bit .The horns seem to have one style of decoration on one side & other on the reverse side I figured one was for every day the other a sort of 'Sunday going to meeting' idea ?.' They must have been popular with tourists as it took me ages to haggle down to the that price . (You know they wont go any further when they get frustrated , hint at your nationality, & show you the doors . All Good Regards Rudyard

Hi Rabbir. Welcome to the Forum.

That is a nice Moroccan snaphaunce. And Rudyard's description for your gun is spot on. There are 3-4 general styles and the stock architecture, and sometimes the decoration, will tell you what area of Morocco the gun was made. Yours is a nice example that appears complete (less one inlay). The lock and barrel maintain an attractive dark even patina. The lock on your gun follows the English pattern. Most of the locks on these guns when you find one will not hold in the cocked position. The toe of the sear where it makes contact with the hammer is usually worn down. It seems none of the parts on these Moroccan made locks were ever hardened. They must have required constant maintenance and repair. It takes a fair amount of work to get them operating again for shooting purposes. Often the barrels are marked at the breech, but not always. The locks only show up occasionally with a makers mark. I've long held the belief that the reason for all the multiple barrel bands was not just decoration, but to provide a reasonable amount of strength to the forearm. If you've had the barrel off, you see how long and delicate the forearm stock is.
One has to take care removing the bands. LOL
Again, a nice example.

Rick

You are absolutely correct about the barrel bands being time consuming to remove. The forearm is toothpick thin, and in the case of this one broken and missing chunks, so I made a few minor repairs using a dental drill and dyed toothpick as pins to shore it up.

As I always tell enquiring friends, Rudyard has Walked the whole World Over. Cheers Mate.. OLD quote DOG..
[Dear Dog .Well not quite walked it all, Mostly hitched & in the US & Canada availed of freight trains exellent service' Fully air conditioned observation cars ' courtousy of Con Rail, Burlington Northern, & Ilisnois Central . CN or CPR .Any brain dead Bo can do it but its sort of exciting Plus Ive met some very interesting people . I see hitching as" A service we offer to the travelling public " I believe most long distance travellers like the company & I can talk of many things just not football rugby or such a narrow focus . To keep to topic I've hitched to & from Rendesvous & events . Regards & Thank You .
Rudyard

As I always tell enquiring friends, Rudyard has Walked the whole World Over. Cheers Mate.. OLD DOG..

Well I replied but it hasnt gone it was mostly about goods trains & hitching anyway . All on the basic principal of if theres nothing coming in then little can go out .
Regards & Thank you Rudyard .

Here is a Moroccan Kabyle from the Tetuan (North Coastal) Region. Note the different butt stock style, with a snaphaunce lock in the Dutch pattern. This one is more plain, but is in firing condition with a Hoyt liner. And a pic of the gun with original accoutrements sill in working order. Fun times !!

RickView attachment 78622View attachment 78623View attachment 78624View attachment 78625View attachment 78626
do the MOROCANS use CAMEL HORNS? for powder horns?

At the risk of being obvious Camels do not have horns ,Cows do so this is doubtless the source of these horns .The only Cows I know are African are Fulani cattle of Northern Nigeria , Cross Sahara trade was & still is constant .I saw Camel Caravans in the distance heading south from a truck five days from Adrar to Gao in 1965. But I expect there are lots of such cows I didn't take a lot of notice . But flasks of horn are not twisted and there are lots of cast brass ones about the same shape & general style , Which could be made in France for that market . Then there are round brass ones, plus the ' Bee Hive 'sorts .but dateing & placing is all one to me .I E I know little about them.
Rudyard

Back