• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should i just buy the mold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to order some round balls for that smoothbore Hopkins and Allen underhammer, I think the .662 will be good. There about $13 for 25 plus about $10 or so for shipping. Should I just order the Lyman mold, I see guys use the .662 in a 12ga shot was in there shotguns so there another use for the ball.

I just picked up some .018 pillow ticking, which I think should be good for the .662 ball in my .680 bore.

If you can buy multiple sizes, I would buy them before buying the mold. .662" would be pretty small in a 12 gauge unless in a thick plastic steel shot wad.
The main use is in my .680 muzzleloader, but seems some guys use the same ball in a shot cup in a 12ga shell to. It's better to have more then one use for a mold, helps ease the pain of the $80 mold lol.

I think there are .677 balls to, should I try them for a dry ball load.

I have to order some round balls for that smoothbore Hopkins and Allen underhammer, I think the .662 will be good. There about $13 for 25 plus about $10 or so for shipping. Should I just order the Lyman mold, I see guys use the .662 in a 12ga shot was in there shotguns so there another use for the ball.

I just picked up some .018 pillow ticking, which I think should be good for the .662 ball in my .680 bore.

My suggestion with any new gun is to order a variety of ball sizes from Eddie May (in Chatsworth GA) & see what works best in YOUR gun. Then buy a mold for that size rather than guessing what might work best .Any left over balls that are too big or too small can simply be recast when you get the mold.

My suggestion with any new gun is to order a variety of ball sizes from Eddie May (in Chatsworth GA) & see what works best in YOUR gun. Then buy a mold for that size rather than guessing what might work best .Any left over balls that are too big or too small can simply be recast when you get the mold.
Ok I'll check him out thanks.

Unless you plan to shoot a lot, Jeff Tanner's son took over JT ball moulds. You can get any size you state, for $40 shipped. No need for $80 molds unless they are multi cavity.

I still say buy the balls first. Track of the Wolf is always my go-to. They show .648", .662", and .672" you can try.

Back