• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I get a 20, 24 or 28 ga. smoothbore for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ontario Hawken

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have scraped together the cash to buy a smoothbore flinter, now the question is do I get a 20, 24 or 28 ga.? I plan on using this for small game (grouse, rabbits, squirrels) as well as deer. We have some fairly big-bodied deer here in Eastern Ontario (200 lb. plus dressed weights for bucks is not uncommon).

So I want a gun big enough to take down a deer within 50 yards but small enough that I won't be eating a bag broken bones when I hunt small game.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

I just got a parts kit from Dunlaps the golden age Issac Hains kit. My barrel is a rice 44" smooth bore (24ga)C weight. This might be a good combo for you. barrel did not come from dunlap.

get the 20
I have a .56 which comes out between a 27 and 28 if I remember right...
I need a larger gun. Shot a turkey with it at no further than 10 or 15 yards with shot and as I was putting my gun in the house the darn bird took flight! Never recovered that bird.
Wild Turkey are tough as nails it turns out.

Compare the outside diameters of the barrels with the bore size. If the ODs are the same on all of them, they'll get progressively heavier going from 20 gauge down to 28, simply because there's more and more steel hanging out there in front of your forehand.

Looking at your list, it doesn't look like you'll be wing shooting much, but weight and handling will be a factor. I'd go for the 20 simply because it's lighter, but I do a lot of wing shooting and poking at hares on the run. But without the wing shooting, I'd probably go with the 28 simply to have better offhand capabilities when shooting ball.

Hi,
Happy to see another Canuck here!
It is hard to beat a 20 gauge.
Great for small game, like grouse, rabbits, squirrel as well as fine for deer.
That big old .60 cal. ball, will add wobble to the legs of a white tailed deer.
Best regards!
Fred ( Old Ford )

May not apply in Canada, but in the US some states limit caliber for certain game. In Kentucky, for instance, shotguns smaller than 20 gauge are not allowed for turkey.

Make certain your choice doesn't run you afoul of the laws.

Spence

Get the 20. You can always load a 20 so it throws the same load as a 24 or 28 gauge, but you can't load a smaller bore up to 20 gauge levels.

A 20 ga trade gun is exactly what I'm looking for. Doesn't have to be showpiece; it is going to spend more time in the bush than at a range. Please let Tom know I'm interested if he's willing to part with that firearm...Thanks!

So I want a gun big enough to take down a deer within 50 yards but small enough that I won't be eating a bag broken bones when I hunt small game.

Any of the 3 choices will fit the bill for the game you mentioned.
The larger bore will throw a bigger shot load. The smaller bore is still plenty for deer with a ball.
Closely study your local game laws before making a decision. Here a 20ga shotgun is the smallest legal bore for turkey or waterfowl. The regulations are sketchy when it comes to deer with a smoothbore. If you call it a shotgun a 20 is the smallest legal size, if you call it a smooth rifle a .45 is legal. :youcrazy:

Ontario Hawken said:
I have scraped together the cash to buy a smoothbore flinter, now the question is do I get a 20, 24 or 28 ga.? I plan on using this for small game (grouse, rabbits, squirrels) as well as deer. We have some fairly big-bodied deer here in Eastern Ontario (200 lb. plus dressed weights for bucks is not uncommon).

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott
I have both .54cal & .62cal Early Virginia smoothbores...extremely versatile...and I'm pretty sure they'll be the last Flintlocks I'll ever let go of.
But no question the .62cal smoothbore will do anything the .54cal smoothbore will do...and will do some things the .54cal can't do...so if deciding on one for your purposes above, get the .62cal and enjoy.

PS: Shot size selection can also have a lot to do with how badly small game is affected with a shot load.

Many years ago I got a very good deal on a 24 ga north star. I wanted a 20 ga. But the price on the 24 was too good. I am not unhappy with it. It is light and well balanced. A 570 ball will punch quite a good hole in Bambi.
It has never been unable to do what I asked. However there is still this nagging feeling deep down that a 20 ga would do it all better. I can't honestly say that 4 hundredths of an inch makes that much difference

Not on your list, but how about a 16 ga.? Very often, 16 ga. barrels and 20 ga. barrels are the same profile, with the 16 being significantly lighter because of the lessened amount of steel. You can always load it down.

I wasn't going to jump beyond his three listed gauges, but I agree with you on moving up to 16. It will certainly do a lot more with shot, and that bigger ball should be a bonified moose stomper.

I have had no problems with torn up small game with my 20 gauge and shot, plus a .600 round ball should put down anything you'll run into in North America.

1st, I agree with Spence about checking your local game regulations to make sure the bore size you're looking at is legal for the game you wish to pursue.

That said, as much as I love my 16 gauge centerfires, get .62 bore 20 gauge. Very versatile and components are readily available.

Back