• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I fire it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Isrow

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just had to drive a .730 cal ball down one of
the barrels of my CVA double barrel shotgun with a hammer and stiff rod. It didn't want to go after the first couple of inches, but I got it down. The ball is seated (well I should think). Should I fire it out, or pull it?

Well I would proably fire it. Be hard to pull. You can check to see if down with the ramrod on outside of gun, run ramrod down to charge and mark, compare on outside. Ball should be sized now. Other way would be blow out with air or pump out with grease. Dilly

Depends on how much powder you put down the bore. I would put a little oil down the barrel or run a lubed cleaning patch down the barrel to help the ball slip over the surface of the barrel as it exits, helping to reduce pressure when its fired, but it you have a safe load of powder behind it, I can't think of any reason Not to fire the ball out.

I've got 80 grains powder for a charge. The lubing the bore idea sounds pretty smart. I think that part of the reason the ball resisted being seated may be the air pressure building up as i pushed down. The ball did fit the barrel tight.
P.S. Happy Birthay!!!

IMO it should be ok. I have often wondered how these bore size balls would shoot. I even wondered about driving a good grease cookie down first and then the ball.
Let us know how it goes please. :hatsoff:

If you can get it in there, the powder will blow it out...or up. I can never remember how that goes... :hmm:

Was the bore clean when you started the ball down? Once started, it should go easier. As Paul suggested, a little lube doesn't hurt and will actually help. What is the actual bore size; is this an oversize ball? To answer your question, it should be OK to fire the ball out if it is seated properly upon the powder.

AS long as its on the powder it should be ok.
Did you mike the bores before you chose that size ball? My CVA double has bores that mike at .722 inch. I use a patched .705 ball in my gun.
You should always check the bore size before trying to load a ball.

I would think if the ball was pure lead it will be now sized to the bore. If it (the ball) is seated on the charge it should be safe to fire.

As others have said, if the ball is seated, you should be OK. However, I understand your anxiety.

I was in a similar spot some time ago and I just couldn't muster up the **lls to pull the trigger. :redface:

I created a make-shift sort of "clamp" on a bench to hold my rifle and attached a string to the trigger so I could fire it from about 30' away, behind a redwood tree cowaring like a little girl.

If it wasn't pouring right now I'd take a photo for you. It's still behind my house should the need arise.

Everything turned out OK, by the way...better safe than sorry I say.

I recently disposed of an Indian manufactured Brown Bess and still have some .730's left. I went out small game hunting this morning, which in florida includes wild hog. I decided to load one barrel w/ #5 and the other with a suitable hog load, in case i ran into one. Well anyway, like i said, i have these .730's so i figured why not give it a try.
Well, now i know why not. Apparently i should have miked it. the .730 is a little snug.
I'm gonna sneak out again tomorrow so I left it loaded and if nothing else will discharge it tomorrow night before coming back in. If I don't write back with how it turned out, you'll all know it didn't go well :grin:

Didn't get a chance to discharge it today. Safely locked away and labeled "loaded" til next weekend. Letting the anticipation build up....

Latest posts

Back