• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shotcups & jug chokes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horace

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When using a shotcup with a jug choke, does the cup allow the column to expand enough to let the choke work?

I wouldn't think so. I'm thinking it would stay with the shot till it exited the bore.

I wouldn't think you would need a shot cup in a properly jug choke'd barrel... :hmm: but I'm probably wrong.

Slowpoke said:
I wouldn't think so. I'm thinking it would stay with the shot till it exited the bore.

I wouldn't think you would need a shot cup in a properly jug choke'd barrel... :hmm: but I'm probably wrong.
No, I don't think you're wrong at all. My own experience with choked 12 ga. guns tells me that shotcups are not needed to get patterns equal to the degree of choke. Shotcups probably won't harm the pattern but probably won't help much either.

Mule Skinner said:
When using a shotcup with a jug choke, does the cup allow the column to expand enough to let the choke work?
Interesting question...I don't personally know...maybe next spring I can test some paper shot cups through my jug.

I'd bet money that the cup full of shot would expand and burst the paper cup as soon as it began entering the expansion chamber, and expand as a jug choke allows it to...I can't imagine that the little ole flimsy paper is going to withstand the driving force behind it and remain intact.

Then I'd worry that the burst / shredded paper would have a negative effect on the shot column as the shot got forced back down to cylinder bore size at muzzle exit, with papaer jammed back into the shot colum every wich way, etc.

All speculaton of course and could be completely wrong...going to have to add that to the list of "Hands on things to try"...but the earliest it would be is Feb/Mar'07.

If I had a jug choked smoothie, I would use the modern plastic cups to increase patterns. They will not tear, or break up going through the choke. I know this doesn't meet NMLRA range rules, but we are not talking about a load for shooting clay targets at 10, 16, and 20 yds, either.

Back