• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shot size for turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spence, I don't believe it was luck at all. Congrats! :thumb:

Like Brad and Troy I like #5 shot the best. However, I have no problem with either #6 or #4 shot. I have some nickel-plated #5 shot that I bought and it patterns the best in my SxS 12 ga. I use plastic cups to hold a tighter pattern since my shotgun is cylinder bore in both barrels.

#6 shot has served me well out of my .54 smoothbore. Head and neck shots, and try to keep under 15 yards.

IMG_0032.JPG

I tend to like #6 shot Spence. Always try for the head and neck.

I did kill a gobbler with a dose of 4's in, I recall, 2018. I mention this as I had a couple pieces of the 4 shot enter the breast. I was curious enough to do a post mortem. Surprisingly both pieces penetrated the breast and entered the vitals cavity. Wouldn't have believed it possible had I not checked myself. I think that gobbler was around the 20 yard mark or a fuzz farther when I shot. All this written about, for what it's worth....

Best regards, Skychief.

I tend to like #6 shot Spence. Always try for the head and neck.

I did kill a gobbler with a dose of 4's in, I recall, 2018. I mention this as I had a couple pieces of the 4 shot enter the breast. I was curious enough to do a post mortem. Surprisingly both pieces penetrated the breast and entered the vitals cavity. Wouldn't have believed it possible had I not checked myself. I think that gobbler was around the 20 yard mark or a fuzz farther when I shot. All this written about, for what it's worth....

Best regards, Skychief.

Another good reason (perhaps) to avoid a body shot is spreading around in the meat whatever is in that green sack that is connected to the liver? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and the green sack thing is delicious.

I have shot many turkeys with either BP 12 gauge or 12 gauge pump shotgun .I have always used one size of shot that being #4copper coated in a 1.5 oz load .I always you the same aim point . Makes no difference if the bird I am calling is strutting or just coming straight in . Knowing where your gun shoots high or low at 20 to 40 yards is very important .I always use the waddle for my point of aim . This has been very productive for me and hardly ever had any shot in the body.usually maybe 6-8 #4s in the head and neck area....don’t like cleaning feathers and blood out of the breast.....good hunting...!!

Another good reason (perhaps) to avoid a body shot is spreading around in the meat whatever is in that green sack that is connected to the liver? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and the green sack thing is delicious.

Yep, the gallbladder. I think headshots are the best option. I my first one with a bow, and spent too much time chasing that bird until it expired... I think I'll stick to a gun. #5 shot is my preferred shot size for most critters anymore including turkeys.

I shot a turkey one year, up close maybe 10 yards. Just about took the head off. That Turkey took of like a rocket to the woods, I went after it and looked for 10 minutes. I finally found it in the hole of a blown over tree.

Up til now, Ive only killed turkeys using modern shotguns, a 12 gauge single to be exact. I always use no.6 shot. No.6 to me is the ideal size for most all small game and turkeys. My son rolled a turkey a couple years ago using a 1 oz. 20 gauge no. 6 pheasant load. Ive given up buying those overpriced turkey specific loads. Theyre just a gimmick. 1 1/4 oz of no.6 out of most any shotgun will stop a turkey cold as long as it patterns decently. Dont believe anybody who says otherwise.

Not sure Im going to hunt birds with the 20 gauge flintlock this year, as I have limited time to go afield, but I might just take it out once.

Up til now, Ive only killed turkeys using modern shotguns, a 12 gauge single to be exact. I always use no.6 shot. No.6 to me is the ideal size for most all small game and turkeys. My son rolled a turkey a couple years ago using a 1 oz. 20 gauge no. 6 pheasant load. Ive given up buying those overpriced turkey specific loads. Theyre just a gimmick. 1 1/4 oz of no.6 out of most any shotgun will stop a turkey cold as long as it patterns decently. Dont believe anybody who says otherwise.

Not sure Im going to hunt birds with the 20 gauge flintlock this year, as I have limited time to go afield, but I might just take it out once.
Without getting into details and going off bounds in the discussion, I agree with your 1 1/4 oz no. 6 opinion. Perhaps since blackpowder may have slightly slower velocities it could make sense to go to no. 5 or no. 4 when reaching out from greater distances. Since many muzzleloaders have less choke and the distances for a good shot are closer, I wonder if it makes sense to use the smaller shot like 6 or 7 1/2. I mean if you are 10 or 15 yards to keep you cylinder guns pattern small, maybe smaller shot would work great.

I’m using the skycheif load with 6’s in my .62 Cyl bore fowler, no turkeys taken with it yet but hopefully soon. 25 yards...
62257B76-33B3-446D-AF9A-828ED6A21968.jpeg

Now this is the Skycheif load i tried, 70gr 2F and 1 1/2 oz of 7.5 magnum lead shot at 25 yards. I don’t have a pick of the metal coffee but the shot went through it.
7B24F9F9-9191-4594-BF9D-30C07E5285F2.jpeg

This was my buddy’s attempt at drawing a turkey head or squirrel...i think:dunno:

Latest posts

Back