• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shot horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott fellows

40 Cal.
Reaction score
being a cheap buckskinner i decided to make a shot horn instead of buying a fancy shot pouch. has anyone else made or seen a shot horn used? i don't recall hearing much of anything about them. it seems to work well for me.
pieman

I have an original one. Part of a matched set: one powder, one shot. Flat, flush pine butt-plug with both. The only difference is the size of the pine stopper plug. No carving, not very smooth surface. Only a ring carved into the spout tips.

The shot is everything from .30 down to #6.

Sure wish I had the firearm they went with, too.

I've got two very old pre-1900 shot horns, they look like plain powder horns with the exception of the pouring hole is somewhat larger. About 5/16" to 3/8" in diameter. Had a plain flat piece of soft wood, I think pine with a one inch wide wire staple in the end for a wide leather strap. I think it was to handle the added weight. bought them both on ebay real cheap. Under $20 including shipping. Also got a shot snake (Irish) there for about the same price. On ebay go to sporting goods/hunting/vintage/blackpowder thats where I found them. Bill

Only disadvantage would be the noise the shot makes ratttling around in the horn. Doesn't matter for most bird shooting though.

Here is a photo of the shot horn I made. It is not based on any one original example but more of a mixture of several features I have seen. It is just short of 7" inches long and will hold quite a bit of shot.

The main body is made of horn with a slightly antiqued finish. The base is plugged with cherrywood. The top is made of cherrywood and the nozzle is made of turned African rosewood. Ebony tuning key stopper.

SHOT01.JPG

SHOT02.JPG

I use a shot horn, carry it on my left side and the powder horn on the right. Shot is heavy enough that it doesn't rattle.
shot_horn.jpg

thanks guys for the info. those are some really nice shot horns that have been posted. mine isn't anywhere near as fancy. i lost the plug within the first week and have had a stick stuck in it ever since. it ain't purty but it does the job. the noise don't matter much when busting brush for cottontails. it doesn't seem to get real noisey until almost empty.
pieman

Back