• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shot dispenser

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a beautiful Colt SxS .12ga hammer gun made in 1878, nice wood, Damascus twist barrels, etc, so it seems the demand for components would certainly have been around from at least that time forward...brass shot-shell 'hulls' were used

Hi Spence. What a cool find. Never seen one. Looks to be in good condition too. Really neat. Thanks for sharing the photos. Rick.

Scots Jim said:
The 1885 Hartley & Graham catalog has a self weighing shot case listed and the 1902 M.Hartley Arms and Ammunition catalog has the same self weighing shot case listed as well as one that appears to be like yours.
Thank you, I'm very glad to have that info. I know some of these cabinets have brand names on them, but I haven't been able to find anything on mine. This will give me a lead to follow. My cabinet is 25" x 9.5" x 12.5".

Spence

Scots Jim said:
Reloading shotshells took very little in the way of equipment,some accounts of market hunters indicate they took their tools to the field and reloaded shells they shot in the morning while waiting for the birds to come back in the afternoon flights.
That would be no problem. I have a set of the tools, wooden deprimer, primer, crimper and adjustable measure, which they used, and it would be a snap to do in a blind.

Spence

roundball said:
I have a beautiful Colt SxS .12ga hammer gun made in 1878, nice wood, Damascus twist barrels, etc, so it seems the demand for components would certainly have been around from at least that time forward...brass shot-shell 'hulls' were used
You and I are going to catch it in the neck, but....

I have a Colt 1883 with some brass shot-shells and have loaded and fired a few just for the experience of it.

Spence

LOL Kinda off topic for this board for sure.

I've got a Parker Lifter Action,shipped to Hibben,Spencer,and Bartlett in Chicago,Oct.5,1882.10 guage.Cost $55.00 at the time.

(I reloaded some once fired hulls I had with a blackpowder load...patterned great).

I pulled both locks and the Colt is so well made, the fit of the side plates so snug, that the internals were clean and looked like new...typical V-spring design of the times...in fact overall, it is surprisingly modern looking compared to a SxS built today.

Sure wish it was a Flintlock double...even toyed with the idea of having it converted but was convinced I shouldn't, given what it was from 134 years ago now

Last edited by a moderator:
Scots Jim sent me a link to an 1883 ad which seems to have my exact item. It is a "Dunscomb Shot Case", patent date July 15, 1879. Many thanks to Scots Jim for the help, I've been looking for a long time.

Spence

There's just something neat about victorian era wears. I've got a couple of family heirlooms from that era and I just love them.

Back