• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shortknifes deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Poss

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My son, Shortknife, just got his first deer with a muzzleloader... .45 cal. green mtn. barrelled TC Hawken. :applause: :applause: One shot at about 50 yds. and he dropped right where he stood. who said a .45 was too small? It was a 4-pointer...sounds small but weighed in after cleaning at about 125 lbs. I just finished cooking and eating part of the tenderloin...my part of a good hunt. I took the liberty to post this as I knew he wouldn't. :: Who knows,the cartridge guns may never see light again!

Way to go! That is great! I bet he is beaming from ear to ear... I am taking my boys next weekend for their first try with flintlocks....doe patrol :D

He got on to me for my original post because I made it sound like he was a kid....well, he IS to me! He's 38...but it was STILL his first deer with a muzzleloader. He's knocked down some real beauts with his (gag) cartridge guns though. I think he was more excited by this one than all the others . 8 or 38,,,when it's your first with a roundball; it's special! Thanks for asking. :peace:

Congrats to Shortknife. :thumbsup:
I'm 40 and have been taller than my Mom since I was 12, and she still refers to me as her baby. :redface:

Congratulations to your son. :thumbsup:

I really like the name; "Shortknife, son of Longknife". How appropriate! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I was just thinking how well that name would fit into my family, with my two sons, and if you have no objection, I would like to "borrow" that very clever name for just a bit.
Of course it doesn't fit with my own name, but they don't know that, and I suspect it doesn't matter...it's still a great name!

My youngest "shortknife" just turned 40 and is never going to make it in the world of muzzleloading. His interest is, and has always been Benchrest, and he does pretty good.
To the best of my knowledge, he has not owned a hunting license since I quit buying them for him...just no interest! He did take a deer with a ML in the early 1970's, but he made a bad shot, actually two bad shots, and things went south on him in a hurry. I made him follow up and finish the business. I suspect it may have left a bad taste in his mouth, and he blamed it on the gun.

The older "shortknife" is a true "die hard" when it comes to front loaders, and hunts every day of the season that he can get time off....He, Shortknife #1, has every muzzleloader, and every gun I ever gave him, while Shortknife #2 has traded, or sold, every muzzleloader I ever gave him...go figure!

Russ

`No objection, RussB...as a matter of fact, My wife is into muzzleloading also and got dubbed "penknife". I guess the whole family is pretty sharp! :crackup: :crackup:

Back