• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Thru Steel? Is that possible?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark one day me and a friend was shooting. i had a piece of diamond Plate steel about 3x3, it was leaning against a post. i told him shoot it with my 50 flintlock. we were 80yds, the round ball hit dead center and sprang back toward us skipping on the ground like a rocket! it missed us by feet! at least hanging steel is fairly safe as it gives when hit, be carful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mark one day me and a friend was shooting. i had a piece of diamond Plate steel about 3x3, it was leaning against a post. i told him shoot it with my 50 flintlock. we were 80yds, the round ball hit dead center and sprang back toward us skipping on the ground like a rocket! it missed us by feet! at least hanging steel is fairly safe as it gives when hit, be carful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I've seen the same thing only it hit the shooter In the forehead. Raised a nice goose egg!

I try to shoot steel targets at an off angle somewhat so the lead won't come back & hit me.
Since this target was hanging, I wasn't worried too much about lead coming back.
I would if it is mounted or secured somehow.
Thanks for watching my friend.....

had a .50 from my pistol bounce back between my feet today. 15 yards into a 6x6.
back to Marks video.
keep em coming Mark.
this is one of the finest visual evidence of the increase of energy with increase of powder i have seen.
someone with better brain cells and math skills could calculate just what those energy increases are.
very educational Mark!

Last edited:
Another facet to lead hitting steel...
If the velocity is high enough and it pocks the surface of the steel then you get a crater with a little raised rim. And the last of the projectile splashes off the rim and comes back in your direction. One day saw some lead cut a shooters face that way.

i read in a forum somewhere, a feller was deer hunting and shot a deer. he walked up to the deer and it was still alive, so he pulled his ML revolver and shot the deer between the eyes, the round ball bounced back off the deer's head and hit the man on the shin bone! he was jumping around and cussing! LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have never had lead come back at me it just splatters when it hits steel. May Be I should have never said never.:(

Latest posts

Back