• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the serpentine matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Here is a bit of history on early muzzleloaders.

15th Century European Hand Gun Fitted with sprung serpentine lock, tapered 26" barrel.

POWDER AND BALL SMALL ARMS

A mercenary hand-gunner of c.1470 begins the long process of loading his "first generation" matchlock. A musketeer uses his powder horn to pour a charge of course powder, measured by eye and experience - early flasks had no cut-off in the nozzle to isolate a predetermined charge. The simple swivel serpentine trigger bar and match holder can be seen clearly.

He then reaches into his bullet bag for a lead ball, which he drops into the barrel. No wadding was used on this occasion.

Ramming the ball home with his wooden ramrod. If speed were essential he would most likely have used a 'rolling ball' for the first few shots of an engagement - simply letting the ball drop into the barrel and seating it by banging the butt smartly against the ground. The gross fouling of the barrel would probably prevent this after half a dozen shots.

Using a simple pricker to ensure the touch hole is clear of debris. This simple but vital tool was ideally made from a sharp piece of wire - brass, so as to avoid sparks.

The comparatively shallow priming recess is visible on top of the breech. Trying to fill it with a fine powder in high a wind was a challenging experience.

Clamping the matchcord in the jaws of the serpentine; ensuring it is exactly the right length to drop into the priming takes practice. If there is a delay between this step and firing, the smouldering end of the cord may accumulate ash which cools the tip and preventing it igniting the priming powder - but blowing on the tip to keep it glowing risks blowing the priming out of it's open recess... This is modern matchcord, medieval cord being coarser in texture.

The gunner would usually have the loose end of the length of match wrapped around his left hand, because a frequent result of firing was having the match blown out of the jaws of the serpentine.

The alternative method of firing was simply to ignore the serpentine and hold the match to the priming powder. It seems likely that this was often done in the heat of battle.

Hi Musketman-

I have the book you're talking about. I really enjoy collecting and shooting some of the older styled replicas. I have two handgonnes from the Irish Musketlock company. One's a 'pipe on the end of a broomstick' in .75 calibre which is late 14th century. The other is a 'pipe on a board' in .50 calibre, which first appeared in the beginning of the 15th century. I also have a nice serpentine matchlock in .62 calibre which is late 15th early 16th century. I also have a John Buck mid 15th century matchlock which is very crude, that I would like to make more period correct someday.

I have three 17th century guns. One is a matchlock musket in .75 calibre by Jurgen Kreckel, and a wheelock military carbine made by the late Kit Ravenshire. I also have a Leonard Day Dutch Trade Musket in 20 gauge.

I also have all the 'traps' that go with the guns. I've re-enacted the 'War of the Roses', 1590's 'O'Neils Irish Rebellion', the 'English Civil War', 1717 Pirate, the 1745 'Jacobite Rebellion', 'F&I War', 'American War of Independence', 'War of 1812', the 'American Civil War' and have an 1876 US Cavalry impression, apart for the 20th century stuff I've done in the past. 600 years of military history crammed into my small house!

It's gratifying to be able to actually look like I stepped from the pages of the book, and shoot live ball just like it's illustrated.

Can you post some pictures of these weapons, that would be something to share.

Here are a couple of old matchlocks to view, I know they are not serpentine matchlocks, but they're still nice.

7436A-2302.jpg

Composite French Matchlock Rifle

Circa 1650

The .75 caliber, 31 inch four-stage barrel probably early 18th century. The front stage with square muzzle face and sliding front sight in front of a 3 inch section having 16 facets and showing traces of silver and gold overlaid florals; the second stage, 19 1/2 inches with linear ribs on upper side; this section bears the inlaid silver signature Paufile A Lion. The third stage repeats the facets of the first stage and the breech stage is of octagonal section profusely inlaid with gold florals, now heavily worn. Dovetailed brass rear sight. Crude brass and steel snap matchlock mechanism. Set triggers. Brass finger-form triggerguard. Walnut stock of 19th century origin. Brass buttplate.

7436A-2300.jpg

Indian Matchlock Rampart Wall Gun

19th Century

.80 caliber, massive 76 inch barrel with 7 iron bands. Crude matchlock mechanism. Three-piece sectional wood stock with iron buttplate. Weight: 24 lbs.

Latest posts

Back