• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shooting original 1862 Enfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the RCBS Minie bullet mould, and most I know use some form of grease grooved bullet. Some do however shoot smooth sided bullets and one I know has been experimenting with success using his bullet paper patched and with a hollow nose.

David

Yo Gary - I have a very old Parker-Hale Musketoon in .577, and shoot two different bullets with equally low-grade success - the Lyman and the Lee. I size them and lube them with Alox, and load them over 55gr of whatever powder I can cadge [the Queen does not trust me with black powder] along with a good 'glop' of E45, a sort of medicinal skin treatment emulsion cream. I have to admit that I don't shoot it over 100m, but have great fun committing mayhem on clays at that distance - keeping both eyes open as I shoot means that I can watch the bullet fly downrange, if the wind is right... ::

There are quite a few of us in the club who shoot BP, but we are limited to our 100m range, and it's not serious. A count a few weeks ago showed half a dozen Sharps of one kind or another in 45-70, one .50 loose-loader, and a 45-120. All shot with BP. There are at least two rolling blocks in 45-70, a few Sniders and Enfields, one Hawken and LOTS of handguns ranging from LePage and Kuchenreuter to stock-equipped Colts and many Ruger Old Army's..even a Colt revolving rifle turns up every now and then.

You can see a few of us on our web-site at http://orpc.org.uk/newsletters.htm

[I'm the guy in the red shirt shooting the M-H, BTW. :winking:]

It will give you a taste of a small-time UK club, I hope.

Best wishes

tac :grey:

That's a nice little range you have there tac! :thumbsup:

By the way, I noticed one chap firing what appears to be a sapper's musketoon over an open tin of percussion caps. It's just under his muzzle. Have you all ever had any problems with caps exploding from the flash or from muzzle blast? You might want to mention it to him if he does it again. Not a real good idea. :grey:

Dear Mr Kanawharanger - re the caps - well-spotted! My carbine, but Reverend John, a Harley-riding rev, shooting it. However - Safety is EVERYBODY's business, I'll get the image pulled off the site as a bad example. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I'm sure I would have noticed sooner or later if a tin of 250 caps had exploded in front of me - even us old slowcoaches over here would probably notice that, given time... :eek:

tac :grey:

Shall I 'ave to send Squire Robin around to break this up?

Not for the world ::

I love it when two old hands square up for a good old fashioned public punch up. Traditionally it's a sport reserved for the club newsletter, this internet version is simply faster and brighter :crackup:

The best ever squabble was in the letters column of The Field when the new fangled back stuffers were taking over, a tirade that lead to the London Gun Trials.

best regards

Squire Robin

:: Actually, I was rawther enjoying it. I just wanted to see how a Cockney accent would adapt to typeface. (Miserably, I fear.) And maybe get things stirred up a little more. In my club, we ride each other unmercifully sometimes and argue and have a lot of fun with it. No harm intended. On here, you have to be careful, if you don't know who you're dealing with.

So, I withdraw my request for you to intervene Squire, and I say chaps, do carry on!

Those letters sound like they would be very entertaining to read. I enjoy a good argument, especially those written in the old days. ::

Hee! I usually get a bit of grief about my 'stinking Remingtons' and holding up the shoot while I cap them!

They usually get back something like 'Can't you manage a REAL pistol- go buy a .22' or suchlike! :blah:

All good fun!

Now look you two wastrels, Mr. TAC and I were enjoying a quiet disagreement and don't need any assistance thank you very much! :blah:

David

Please accept my profuse apologies old boy! Please do go on! I was just yankin' your chain. As I told Squire, I was rawther enjoying your conversation so don't let us spoil it! :relax: ::

Bob

Very interesting! I'll bet if you two met face to face, you couldn't understand each other!LOL! :what:

You might be right! :: I can get along OK as long as they don't talk too fast. Heck, I have trouble when Americans talk too fast!

So much for sarcasm...doesn't translate too well in emails! :results:

I was quite enjoying your ribauld witticisms! Anyway, :eek:ff: and our patient moderator may well be getting ready to close this thread down!

David

You're quite right, David. Please overlook my nincompoopery. (That's a W.C. Fields word.) I'm afraid I've watched too many BBC comedies over the years and I guess I miss talking to a couple of English friends who used to come over here to reenact the CW with us. :cry:

And unfortunately :eek:ff: Sorry Zonie! We'll be good now. And what 'appened to that chap with the Enfield? :hmm:

Back