• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearbelch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't wear glasses daily but use shooting glasses and would like to know if there are more traditional glasses I could use when at events. My plastic shooting glasses just don't seem to fit in... Are the glasses that JA Townsend and other venders sell a safe alternative? If not then I'll keep wearing what I have and play it safe.
Thanks for input.

bearbelch said:
I don't wear glasses daily but use shooting glasses and would like to know if there are more traditional glasses I could use when at events. My plastic shooting glasses just don't seem to fit in... Are the glasses that JA Townsend and other venders sell a safe alternative? If not then I'll keep wearing what I have and play it safe.
Thanks for input.

I've always worn Ray Ban, but their kind of expensive now.

Visual acuity as well as protecting your eyes during any shooting is a safety issue, and takes precedent over most PC/HC issues. Wear your glasses any time you shoot, or are near the firing line. If you are re-enacting a role at Williamsburg or some other historic site, that requires you to be totally HC, THEN consider buying those old style glasses. 30 years ago, a friend of mine spent well over $100 to buy "specs", and even had prescription lenses made for them. They looked "cool" but he found they were too small to offer much protection to his eyes when shooting, and he found them next to impossible to wear his AND sight down his barrel and front sight. Something about the way they fit his ears, and nose. :surrender:

In disgust, he put them in his range box, and got his normal glasses out to wear to finish the shoot. He still wore the "specs" around camp, but I don't recall him ever wearing them again to shoot his gun. :hmm: :thumbsup:

There are traditional looking glasses that will fit in nicely at rendezvous and reenactments.
Then there are glasses designed for safety. If you are going for safety, there are scores of glasses on the market just for that purpose for shooters. Prices range from about $10.00 to many hundreds. Make yer choice.
And, good on you for thinking safety. :thumbsup:

Those PC type glasses (which I own and wear at rendezvous) are probably better than nothing but the lenses are very small and won't stop everything that might fly back toward your eyes. I also don't think they are "safety" rated.

The safety of your eyes is far more important than being HC/PC. Don't risk damage to your eyes just to look "right". Never fire a muzzleloader without proper eye protection. Bits of a fired cap or fragments of flint can do serious damage to your eyes. I don't care what the HC/PC crowd says, it ain't worth it. :nono: If they won't let you wear proper eye protection, just go play somewhere else. Never fire a gun of any kind without proper eye and ear protection. :thumbsup:

Same here, I'm near sighted so, I need my glasses. I think I order them with impact "resistant" lenses. I use them for my qualifying range for work as well.....

I'll stick to Ray Ban,s, even though they cost more. I only have two eyes. My eyesight taint as good as it used to be, but I still have two of them.

I ordered new glasses (bifocal transitions lenses) yesterday i was able to get polycarbonite lenses. They told me that they are not considered safety glasses but they would be fine for shooting. I guess safety glasses have heavy duty frames and the lenses are a little thicker.

I am almost 70 and far sighted. About 3 years ago
it was getting hard to see my front sight. I use
reading glasses to shoot. I think 1.5 diopter.
Works GREAT!

I used my clear raquetball glasses when I couldn't come up with something better. They're pretty sturdy and light polycarb. Totally clear, good coverage and no frames to lessen your sight pic (and pretty cheap!)

Back