• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you intend to use the pouch and for what caliber and kind and of gun, I.E. Rifle or Smoothbore?

If you are only using it for hunting, then a minimalist or "day pouch" is probably all you need because you don't need to carry as much "stuff" in it.

Do you plan on reenacting or doing living history with it and if so, what time period?

If you plan on using it in some primitive matches where once you cross a line, you can not go back and get something you don't normally need, but now need to keep shooting. Then you might want a larger pouch. I have seen folks who had to forfeit such a match at Friendship because they didn't have something in the pouch they needed on a rare occasion.

As others have stated, it really is important you lay out what you are actually going to put in the pouch AND decide how you want them in the pouch. Small loops or pockets inside a pouch can organize some of the gear better and allow you to get by with a smaller pouch.

Gus

Initially, I'm going to use it for hunting. Eventually, I would like to use to portray an early Rocky Mountain Fur Trapper, say just post War of 1812. Some competitive shooting is hopefully in my future.

I am shooting rifles.

Any thoughts of two bags- a practical bag for hunting and another for show?

I've ended up making a bag for each gun I own, as do lots of other folks (easier not to forget stuff when you switch guns), so owning a couple wouldn't be out of line.

You can get by with a much smaller pouch than you think. I know that I originally started with what appeared to be a leather saddle bag from a Harley Davidson.

Now I only carry enough stuff to get me through a couple days of hunting. I do have to say though, after a little mix up in a National forest a dozen or so years ago, all my pouches contain a fire starting kit and I have a compass that I move from pouch to pouch depending on which gun I'm using.

I also read a diary once that said awls were universally carried and were carried in the hunting pouch. So I have one in each pouch too.

Not sure what my source was now, I remember it was referencing Ft Ligonier.

Back