• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting a ramrod out of the barrel..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I see it, the longer you shoot black powder firearms the more likely you are to pull of one of the inherent blunders (dry ball, short start, powder only, etc). I can say with a straight face that I've done them all!
You mean we aren't all perfect in each and every way, never making a mistake? 😆 To date I've done dry ball, but no patch...not sure why I just decided to drop the ball down the barrel, did the short start thing a few weeks ago for the first time which to my surprise with real bp didn't bulge the barrel or blow the gun up although I don't want to make it a habit, and I've done powder only. I have yet to shoot a ram rod in almost 10 years of front stuffing, but I suppose that day is coming. 🤔

I might put my self on limb here.! But it is all with a good intention to get some discussion going on...

Any other done such a silly thing as to shoot a ramrod to newer find it again..?
Yes you`re right, I did once. It was at a competition close by, kind of a woods walk.
It was shoot together with a .495 RB. over 60gn. of Swiss FFg.
The ramrod was made of steel and had a black round machine ball at the end.
It was shot out of my Jaeger rifle, a replica Danish/Norwegian M 1791 made by me.
The recoil was severe and if any one sees the ramrod, still in orbit! Please let me know.
It was a very nice ramrod and I miss it..!
Shooting a ramrod out of the barrel is the exact reason that you will never see anyone ram the paper form a cartridge down at a Continental Line, BAR, NPS, or other sanctioned event. It was back in the Bicentennial that they put a stop to ramming the paper down on top of the powder. A number of times participants were hurrying to get loaded because they were supposed to fire in a volley and the just rammed it down and went to shoulder arms. Then, on command, they took aim and fired and every once in a while a ramrod would sail off towards the opposing line.

Obviously that's very dangerous, so they prohibited ramming the cartridge paper down the barrel. So after we pour the powder out of the paper cartridge, we are required to discard it onto the ground.

Doesn't make it any better, but at least you know you're not the only one to ever do that.

Witnessed ramrod’s being shot during civil war reenactment back in the 80’s. One going out from our side and one received from the other. Luckily no one injured. They finally barred ramrod’s left in the muskets and also started performing visual safety inspections before the battles bargain.

Accidentally fired one? No I haven't, at least so far. Have shot two out on purpose though. Not my guns, belonged to people I knew who came to me for help. One was stuck while cleaning, the other was from an attempt to remove a dry ball and the old rod came apart. In both cases I ended up feeding a little powder into the breech and popped them out. The cleaning rod actually bounced down range a little ways and was fine The other one came out still stuck in the ball and made some interesting gyrations across the ground........... no loss since it was already broken.

Of course neither was a full charge and I fastened both to an old tire I use for test firing for safety. I would suspect shooting one out with a full charge unexpectedly would be quite interesting... to say the least

Years ago during a Rev War celebration one of the guys, who wasn't gun oriented, forgot to take his ramrod out of his Brown Bess and fired into a stone building about 20' away, exciting times!
That is the reason the ram rod stays in the thimbles at Rev War celebrations. Powder is the only thing that goes in the barrel. Nothing else.

BTW I have a friend that tried to shoot his flintlock shotgun/fowler loaded with shot and shot, that did not work good either. We do perhaps do silly things from time to time, but we do have loads of fun at the range.

It comes to mind that ALERTNESS is key. Here's what I do:
1) no beer,no alcohol no medication that affects my sharpness when shooting,
2) I make sure I am fully awake and alert when I awake before shooting,
3) control distractions, turn off cell phone, turn off chatty people,
4) Focus and pay attention to your actions when shooting.
5) Memory is treacherous, Doublecheck yourself.
6) Respect Range Officials and Observers--listen to advice,
7) Trust your gut. If something doesn't seem right-it probably isn't.

I hear all these situations, including some that ended in tragedy. I've made
stupid mistakes--usually when my better sense was asleep at the switch.
This forum allows us to exchange all these events and issues increasing
the safety of the muzzleloading sport. Thanks to all forum members and
staff/moderators.

Back