• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shooting a ramrod out of the barrel..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I might put my self on limb here.! But it is all with a good intention to get some discussion going on...

Any other done such a silly thing as to shoot a ramrod to newer find it again..?
Yes you`re right, I did once. It was at a competition close by, kind of a woods walk.
It was shoot together with a .495 RB. over 60gn. of Swiss FFg.
The ramrod was made of steel and had a black round machine ball at the end.
It was shot out of my Jaeger rifle, a replica Danish/Norwegian M 1791 made by me.
The recoil was severe and if any one sees the ramrod, still in orbit! Please let me know.
It was a very nice ramrod and I miss it..!

I've sent a ram rod down range. Around 1985 I had my first black powder gun. A CVA kit .50 caliber hawken style. I was shooting a wooden 4×4 post to see how far it could penetrate the post and forgot about the rod. I was no farther than 5 yards and it kicked quite a bit harder than before. The rod stuck into the post.

Seen it done once. Was standing behind the young shooter who done his own loading. His dad was not happy. The wooden ramrod was in two pieces stuck in the 25yrd back stop.

I might put my self on limb here.! But it is all with a good intention to get some discussion going on...

Any other done such a silly thing as to shoot a ramrod to newer find it again..?
Yes you`re right, I did once. It was at a competition close by, kind of a woods walk.
It was shot out of my Jaeger rifle, a replica Danish/Norwegian M 1791 made by me.
The recoil was severe and if any one sees the ramrod, still in orbit! Please let me know.
Metal detector...

Hmmm. I heard the latest rocket had to deviate from its planned orbit. They said someone threw a funny looking spear at them. :rolleyes: Dale

Was benching an original Austrian M1854 Lorenze Jaeger rifle. Hoyt reline. 45 gr FF behind 510 gr minie plus whatever the rammer weighed. Recoil was rather stiff. Never did find the rammer. Fired a double load once but had removed the rammer. 1,010 gr lead. Recoil still a bit stiff so decided to give it up. Jaeger

Go back a few years to a re-enactment display of some kind in the Republic of Ireland. One of the participants fired his Brown Bess ramrod downrange - an obvious oversight.

The authorities, after thinking about it for a few minutes, closed down the whole display, sending the re-enactors home and a day or so later an 'advisor' from the Firearms Office in Phoenix Park Dublin issued an 'ukaze', banning the firing of ALL black powder firearms in any future re-enactment display.

Squirrel hunting in Callaway County one fall, my friend missed a squirrel which ran out onto a limb. He reloaded, fired, and sent his into perhaps Audrain county (don't know). He thought the rifle had blown up as recoil was excessive. Missed squirrel.

Old optometrist told me as a boy, he and his brother decided to shoot an old M/L shotgun at a shed, ramrod stuck in the wooden siding. Not a new thing. He was old when I was but a kid. It happens, sometimes.

That last sentence clinches the whole story for me. Makes me laugh.

"Just give me back the board (ramrod), Lance (universe). It was a good board (ramrod), and I like it. You know how hard it is to find a board (ramrod) you like." - Lt. Col. Kilgore - Apocalypse Now

Back