• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shoot-Off Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumblernotch

69 Cal.
Reaction score
We had a Primitive match at our range today and two of us had to have a shoot-off to determine the winner. There would normally be nothing special about that, but the shoot-off was between a .36 rifle and my .69 smoothbore. The picture shows the results. It made for an interesting target.

Shoot-offTarget.jpg

:thumbsup:

Yeah, it was part of a six bull with a 3 inch bullseye.

And Halftail, it was only shot at 25 yards. I was quite pleased with the old Charleville yesterday although I missed a few long shots. Those were my fault not the gun's. Just a little while before, I hit a 3/4" steel rod hanging from a wire between two trees at nearly 30 yards. And yet missed a 6 inch plate at 35. Go figure.

We had started the shoot-off by attaching a cleaning patch to a dead log with a wood peg at about 25 yards. Both of us made the patch move and when we investigated, we found that we didn't touch the patch, but our bullets appeared to hit behind the patch near it's edge. We figured it was concussion or something we couldn't explain, so we gave that up as a bad job and went down to the main range. I had some targets in my truck and I stuck this one up out at the 25 backer. The feller I was shooting against hadn't shot in about six months and was out of practice. This gives you some idea how good a shot he is. I'd say I was pretty lucky. The other bullet hole at the bottom was from a previous shoot. I save a lot of old targets and usually tape over the holes. Old Tightwad they call me.

While I was there, I tried a new shot load with the musket at 25 yds. 1 1/8 oz. of No.5 over 70 grs. ffg. Pretty durn dense for cylinder bore. I'm starting to like smoothies more and more. Very versatile weapon!

looks like a snowman layin' on his side! Ain'tcha got nuthin' bigger? Good shot Bob...

Vic

Does don't it? Kinda looks like one of them old Pac Man games where that critter tries to eat another critter too.

I reckon old Frenchy is about as big as I got, Vic. I'm growin' muscles on my muscles aheavin' the bullet mold around for it so's I can feed it. This thing and that Whitworth git mighty hongrey!
:: :thumbsup:

Back