• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping to Illinois?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry in advance, wasn't sure where to ask.
Is there anywhere I can get a proper answer to it being legal to ship a muzzleloader rifle to an Illinois resident or if it has to go to an ffl.
Finding conflicting answers.

Illinois is a P.I.A. when it come to guns. I believe everything must go through an FFL. But if not it's not a bad idea to do it anyway. Especially when dealing with Illinois. CYA

I live in IL and I wanted to get the answer to that question for the members and myself. I seen a nice Hawken for sale here and I thought about getting it.
So this is what I found out. The 2 gun shops I called said I would have to go through them and pay the 75.00 transfer fees. I then called TRACK OF THE WOLF and the gentleman that answered the phone told me that Black powder rifles and such are exempt from that law and that they would ship the Hawken I seen right to my house. He also said someone had to sign for it at delivery.
Tomorrow I will call ATF in Chicago and see what they say. I will post the results of the phone conversation.
I would still check before I order a ML’er out of state.

SF ……. All !!!!!!

I live in IL and I wanted to get the answer to that question for the members and myself. I seen a nice Hawken for sale here and I thought about getting it.
So this is what I found out. The 2 gun shops I called said I would have to go through them and pay the 75.00 transfer fees. I then called TRACK OF THE WOLF and the gentleman that answered the phone told me that Black powder rifles and such are exempt from that law and that they would ship the Hawken I seen right to my house. He also said someone had to sign for it at delivery.
Tomorrow I will call ATF in Chicago and see what they say. I will post the results of the phone conversation.

SF ……. All !!!!!!
TOTW knows what they're talking about.

Buy the rifle, have them ship the rifle, and you enjoy the rifle.

Chicago ATF is not your friend.

SF ……. All !!!!!!
You can call the ATF but I doubt they'd help much. ATF is Federal while it's up to the individual states whether or not you go through an FFL. The State makes the determination as to whether it's a gun or not subject to an FFL.

My understanding via my shooting buddy retired Illinois Sheriff brother in law is that an FFL is required. Illinois seems to change their rules almost daily and is very Anti-Gun. I'd suggest using an FFL simply to C.Y.A..

I live in Illinois, the last BP gun I ordered online was from Dixie and they shipped it direct, Midway would not ship the exact same gun to Illinois.

1851 Navy by the way.

The gun in question is not a gun by Federal Law. It is an antique. IL is right up in there with NJ CA HI and MD and far as dumb laws. It is ashamed but you can't always believe FFLs. I have shipped antiques to NJ CA and IL. My habit is to get on Gunbroker and use the search engine to locate FFL in the state. With both NJ & CA I called three different FFLs in each state and got 3 different answers. Several years ago I shipped a Thompson Hawkins Flint to IL. It had to go through an FFL. Here is a link to the Firearms Services for the ISP Firearms Services . They are usually pretty reliable with answers. MD not so much. This issue to do with State not Federal Law. There is 0 cooperation between statesand federa on gun laws. Many states have been doing unconstitutional stuff for years. The current SCOTUS is slowly bringing some stuff back in line but it will take years. The laws are fluid and change from year to year. The IL State Police should offer you the best answer.

Tom

Everyone keeps bringing up California in these discussions. I live in Cal. and I can tell you the laws here for unmentionables are ridiculous but when it comes to ML and black powder a different story. We are inline with federal regs for these, no ffl required. Over the last year and a half I have had 3 black powder revolvers and don't remember how much supplies all shipped straight to my door with no problems. 2 of the handguns were shipped from Muzzle_Loaders.com and Midway the 3rd was a private party sale all shipped with no problems. You cannot find real black powder in this crazy state but you can have it shipped in with no issues. Sorry for the long post but just tired of everyone thinking Cal. is as bad as NJ its not at least for muzzleloaders

Back