• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shiloh sharps 54 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a good gun for anyone beginner or not. is it a farmingdale or big timber gun?? i guess they would be in the 2000.00 plus range these days. carbine or rifle? if its a farmingdale see if there is a wolfs head stamped on side of the barrel just ahead or the receiver. some consider those worth a little more as it was made by wolfgang droge himself.

it is a good gun for anyone beginner or not. is it a farmingdale or big timber gun?? i guess they would be in the 2000.00 plus range these days. carbine or rifle? if its a farmingdale see if there is a wolfs head stamped on side of the barrel just ahead or the receiver. some consider those worth a little more as it was made by wolfgang droge himself.
Ok I will look at it again it’s a carbine

the paper cartridge guns are a lot of fun, but there is really no similarity to the shooting in it or the 1874s. It is a new rabbit hole, and needs dedication due to the fact that a lot of people have no good info to share for them. Those that do shoot them, love them, but as a "beginner". not really.

Attachments

• 4698FECB-0F67-41E3-9B1C-149D7D18AF24.jpeg
    4698FECB-0F67-41E3-9B1C-149D7D18AF24.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Have Hahn Machine Works or Larry Flees do their chamber and breech block modification. Then with "Charlie's Tubes" and a ring tail bullet start shooting. With this modification you will be good for 30+ rounds with no breech block stickiness and well worth the cost. The only difference is the Flees modification will only work with flat tail cartridges. It will not work with the cut tail paper cartridge
There is mo change in appearance because the modifications on both are internal.
I have one of each kind of modification on two Pedersoli's one carbine and one sporting rifle and am satisfied with both types of conversion.
I have shot them a lot and both work perfectly. I cannot say one is better than the other.
Have fun
Bunk

Have Hahn Machine Works or Larry Flees do their chamber and breech block modification. Then with "Charlie's Tubes" and a ring tail bullet start shooting. With this modification you will be good for 30+ rounds with no breech block stickiness and well worth the cost. The only difference is the Flees modification will only work with flat tail cartridges. It will not work with the cut tail paper cartridge
There is mo change in appearance because the modifications on both are internal.
I have one of each kind of modification on two Pedersoli's one carbine and one sporting rifle and am satisfied with both types of conversion.
I have shot them a lot and both work perfectly. I cannot say one is better than the other.
Have fun
Bunk
Hi are they hard to clean. I’m been watching video on making paper loads for them

The problem I encountered using the Shiloh Sharps for hunting deer in Pa. , it was near impossible to keep it damp proof out in the woods. Unless the chamber area was kept wrapped up , and totally moisture proof , hang fires were the rule. I went to a flint lock for reliability. At least , on a clear day in deer season , a flinter will fire any time.
The Shiloh sharps was very accurate as at the range , where you would load and fire time and again. Since I couldn't use the rifle in deer season ,I sold it.

If you can buy the Shiloh for $1700 jump on it! That's a really good price. New, they are over $2,400, plus a two year wait. Properly lubricated, the Shiloh Sharps do not require the breechblock modification. They use the patented Conant gas check plate that the original New Model 1863s used. The Italian repros use a different type of gas seal that can be problematic.

They do require a lot of time and attention to clean properly, but are a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. Shiloh Rifle Co. has an 1863 Shooters forum on line that contains a lot of info on care and maintenance.

Last edited:
If you can buy the Shiloh for $1700 jump on it! That's a really good price. New, they are over $2,400, plus a two year wait. Properly lubricated, the Shiloh Sharps do not require the breechblock modification. They use the patented Conant gas check plate that the original New Model 1863s used. The Italian repros use a different type of gas seal that can be problematic.

They do require a lot of time and attention to clean properly, but are a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. Shiloh Rifle Co. has an 1863 Shooters forum on line that contains a lot of info on care and maintenance.
I shot a lot of old gun with corrosive ammunition clean them good keep on bench a few days keep cleaning them.

I use bore butter in my gas check plate. I have no problem with fouling but I only shoot maybe 15 or 20 rounds at a time. Mine does not have any kind of plate mod.

Last edited:
Back