• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sheriff to Bulldog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is with the other cylinder

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
what you guys have done looks really nice but just so you know you can shoot a 58 without the loading lever at all. I lost or stripped that little screw on my 58 when I was a kid and shot it for years without the lever and with no issues of the pin falling loose while shooting.

what you guys have done looks really nice but just so you know you can shoot a 58 without the loading lever at all. I lost or stripped that little screw on my 58 when I was a kid and shot it for years without the lever and with no issues of the pin falling loose while shooting.
That’s good to know. I wanted to keep the loading lever because I like the look and I have a slixshot loading lever extension so I can hopefully still use it to load.

I started the patina a bit with cold blue and water mix. Not sure if I’ll keep it like this. If I do I’ll have to remove the blue from the screws, cylinder arbor, trigger and hammer too.

Attachments

• 72108478578__85D31F00-32C6-4255-9773-6F13486CCBAB.jpeg
    72108478578__85D31F00-32C6-4255-9773-6F13486CCBAB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 72108475498__8DD1A5BC-50DB-4F41-808E-866109DD5FA6.jpeg
    72108475498__8DD1A5BC-50DB-4F41-808E-866109DD5FA6.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Alright the writing on the barrel is mostly gone. I finished the patina with cold blue and water, then a day or so of browning solution and carding, then a bit more cold blue and water. Then I tossed it in some lava rock a few times just to bang it up a bit. I also took the bluing off all the screws. So I guess now I’m done. All that’s left is to shoot it sometime! And hopefully come up with another project. I also need to decide on a new purchase. I’m thinking of a Navy Remington, probably the Uberti version, an 1860 Colt or a second or third model Dragoon. The other possibility is a stainless Remington 1858. I got a Pietta 1858 target version, but I wasn’t thrilled with cylinder gap that was .011 so it’s going back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I took my Pietta Sherrif model and turned it into a 4” barrel bulldog grip Remington. I have a full size Remington ordered so I thought it would be a fun project to make this. The hardest part was filing the dovetail and installing the sight. I stripped the grips and gave them a couple coats of tru oil.
Man!! That thing is sweet. I love it. I thought about repacing the ram Rod with the mechanism the pietta ace uses instead of the lever.

Man!! That thing is sweet. I love it. I thought about repacing the ram Rod with the mechanism the pietta ace uses instead of the lever.
Thanks! I like the aged look, but what’s nice is I can drop the frame in vinegar for an hour and then sand and polish it a bit to make it look new. The cylinder release used on the ace is pretty cool. It’s another alternative that works well instead of doing what I did.

Back