• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sheriff to Bulldog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my Pietta Sherrif model and turned it into a 4” barrel bulldog grip Remington. I have a full size Remington ordered so I thought it would be a fun project to make this. The hardest part was filing the dovetail and installing the sight. I stripped the grips and gave them a couple coats of tru oil.

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
That came out great! I agree with defarbing the barrel completely and either patina or blue.
I will defarb at some point, but I don’t think I’ll do any bluing. Either clean it up and polish in the white, or let it patina. I have 2 cylinders for this gun, one shown which is blued and one like the frame. I also have an unmentionable cylinder that I’ll leave blued. I like the contrast! I left the screws blued also.

looks like good work. the big question is how does it shoot? I see that you rounded off the grip. for me the only way i can shoot a 58 is with my pinky under the bottom of the grip. does that still work? have you sighter her in yet?

looks like good work. the big question is how does it shoot? I see that you rounded off the grip. for me the only way i can shoot a 58 is with my pinky under the bottom of the grip. does that still work? have you sighter her in yet?
Haven’t shot it yet. Haven’t really finished it yet. The grip is comfortable and I can, like you, wrap my pinky under the grip. I’m considering making a little space between the frame and trigger guard also. It’s a bit of a tight squeeze in that spot! The sight I installed is slightly taller than the original so I can file it down as needed. And as others have suggested, and I agree, I will file off the writing on the barrel at some point.

I took my Pietta Sherrif model and turned it into a 4” barrel bulldog grip Remington. I have a full size Remington ordered so I thought it would be a fun project to make this. The hardest part was filing the dovetail and installing the sight. I stripped the grips and gave them a couple coats of tru oil.
What holds the loading lever in place?

What holds the loading lever in place?
It’s hard to explain but the sliding lock that locks it originally on the gun I removed and drilled a hole in the other end of the Loading lever and installed it there. Then I filed a triangular slot in the end of the cylinder pin where the sliding lock fits into. I hope that helps. You can look closely at the picture and maybe see what I’m talking about!

Attachments

• 72066958449__B2A7402F-F127-456C-A87C-F5324FA37EA0.jpeg
    72066958449__B2A7402F-F127-456C-A87C-F5324FA37EA0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 72058577378__C30B85E4-69F4-4B83-AAA1-30D6D691E9BA.jpeg
    72058577378__C30B85E4-69F4-4B83-AAA1-30D6D691E9BA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back