• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shaving in Camp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rod L said:
One thing about shaving out at a camp or in a barrack, it sure draws a crowd---funny how something that was so commonplace attracts so much attention now.

Rod

Funnier yet is grown men who run and wince and get all uncomfortable when they watch me shave with my straights.
I have been using them so long I just whip that blade all over my face, swap hands and whip it around again and unless I'm really primping don't even use a mirror.
I have thought about mimicking Shemp from the three stooges who used to test his blade by running it across the tip of his tongue (Man that even used to bother me) I thought about getting a dull razor and stropping it and checking it with my tongue then pulling the old switcheroo when no one's looking and shaving with a sharp one LOL!

When I was in Nam the barber use to shave you with a straight razor when you got a haircut. He would shave your forehead an d your whole face. Of course they killed the Commanding General of the First MAG on the side of a tank with a sachel charge one dark night. Then no one wanted to let the barber near your neck with a razor.

I use to have a 21 year old barber/stylest with big hooters whom I loved to lay me back in the chair and shave me. :hatsoff:

Ronnie

My earliest strait is wwi, but I do shave witha strait only it's from colonel cronks and when I shave it's my go to. I use a dood badger fur brush and shaving soap for my shaving cup. :grin:

DSC00819.jpg

My last shave set up :p

I shave before I leave the house & don't worry about it until I get back home

mjarx said:
I shave before I leave the house & don't worry about it until I get back home
From what I've read, that's about as historically accurate as it gets for a hunter of the 18th century. :thumbsup:

I am curious as to how the blades were sharpened at the time. Most of the information that I can find on today's sharpening speaks of Japanese water stones, which I think I can safely assume are not period. So how did the straight razors get sharpened? Just regular fine grit stones?

Loki

many strops had very fine abrasive compound permeated on one side. straight razors are hollow ground of course for easy sharpening.

...My question too under my thread "Razors." The old inventories and traders' lists of the mountain fur trappers made plenty of mention of razors but no mention of strops, honing stones or shaving soap. Straight razors are finicky creatures and the edge is so so fragile. How did they do it out there in camp in the mountains?

Shaving soap shows up pretty often, but the other accesories are much more difficult to find. Here's some I've found:

May 3, 1809, St. Louis Missouri Fur Co.,
3 Rasor cases $2.00 $6.00
1 Rasor .62 1/2
2 Rasor straps .50 $1.00
Soap box .37 1/2

Ashley's agreement with Smith, Jackson, & Sublett, July 18, 1826
Shaving soap $2.00/lb.

Estate manifest of Jed Smith, July 11, 1831
Pocket razors
Shaving razors
Razor handles, white and green

Ft. Union inventory, 1832
Shaving soap
Razors
Shaving brushes
Shaving boxes with glass

Shipping manifest of S.B. Diana, for UMO
2 Boxes shaving soap

I wonder if the razors came with boxes, the type with the strop on the back? If so, that would help explain the lack of strops. I do see the very ocassional mention of whetstones, rag stones, oil stones, etc., but they seem to be listed under the 'in use' lists for forts.

Rod

Rod: Good job with your research! I also like the idea of paddle type strops being on the back of the razor boxes... perhaps even with honing paste included to use with the strop. ...Just speculation because I have no documentation. What about mirrors to shave with?

Mirrors wouldn't be a problem----the boxes with glass in the previous list refers to a mirror in the box---but a more common source would be the thousands of cheap trade mirrors that were part of every order of Indian trade goods. PC looking glasses are the most common, PC standing for paper covered--the small round ones with a paper backing. I've also seen lists containing gilt framed oval looking glasses---they'd have a metal frame. Mirrors were in big demand by the Indians, and were readily available most anywhere.

Rod

As for sharpening, Belgin stones, coticule and Thurgadain (sp) stones by Escher and such where around long ago, in fact thurg's are an extinct vein today, Coticule soon to follow in the next 50+ years.

One thing that was surched for as soon as settlers arrived where new quarries for such stones. Queery, Arkansas, and many others have popped up. So these small stones could be held as various places where they would have a sharpening service. Many people would swing by the Barber for a drop off and pick up.

How this was accomplished in the mountans would be a hit and miss one I'm affraid. Pasted strops, paddle strops, oh the list couls be a big one. My guess would be that many of the trappers would only get a shave when they came to a settlement selling off there load.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PImGfTTVUkk[/youtube]

Link

I'm starting to make more videos of my Vintage blades. Todays blade is around 1858 but I have 5 or 6 around 1790-1830 areas and will deffenatly get those posted for those interested in that era.

I'd use older ones if I ever get my greedy mits on them :p

Let me guess, no links can be posted??

Ok got one way to work. Look as if you only have one option that works, use the world link and you MUST type something or it doesn't work...

That You Tube button is a mess...

Back