• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set trigger not workin correctly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbles

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Boys,, I got a problem,, When I pull the set trigger, I hear a click, but I still have to pull the main trigger and wait for another click, which release's the pull on the main, then I have to pull the main farther to fire it, That never happened before,, Is that something I can fix?? any one know what is causing it to do that ?? There is a pin behind the hammer that I can sea move after I hit the set THEN the main, before it fires,, It's all new, I only shot bout 12 to 15 box's of balls thru it so far, This is on a T/C Hawken 50 cal,,,
Also, from nother post I made,, I just found out There is a screw on the left side of the stock that will move the hammer over a lil (left or right) to make it hit square on on the nipple ,,

K boys,, What will happen if I pull the lock plate screw out and remove the lock plate ?? Will I have parts fallin out or is it a unit ?? (T/C hawken 50 cal,,)

The lock is a unit and comes off in one piece. That screw that you were told adjusts the hammer is the lock nail or lock bolt. Its primary function is to hold the lock on, not change the hammer position. Too tight and you can get the lock works rubbing on the lock mortise, which causes binding. I've never heard of your problem, but it could be that the triggers are improperly adjusted, or maybe you have a wood chip in there or old, hardened lube. I would loosen the lock screw and tap the head with the plastic butt of a screw driver, gently, until the lock is free. DO NOT attempt to remove the lock by wiggling the hammer. Leave some of the lock bolt threads engaged in the lock until it is free or you'll likely bugger the threads up. Let us know what you find---more information would be helpful.

If you remove the lock plate screw nothing should fall out. The spring and sear is held together with two screws. I have a hard time keeping mine tight. That is probably what is wrong with yours. Pull the lock and check it.

Robert

Heck, that was easy,, now,, can I pull the trigger unit off as a unit also ?? no parts fallin on the floor ??

yep, pulled off the lock plate and cleaned it and it works like it used to,, Think I will use lock tight (blue) on it to keep it tight and lined up with nipple after I find out bout pullin the triggers off, Might as will check them see ins as I'm already this far,

Yes you can. I think the tang bolt holds the trigger assembly in on a T/C, but don't recall for sure. Remove trigger guard and see if there is a bolt coming down from the top into the assembly if so, remove the tang bolt and it should come out.

ahh,, got to pull the top tang bolt or the trigger gaurd won't come off,, so far so good,,

Yep, all fixed, no problem,,, With yours and Robert58's help, And I learnt some things ... Thanks again,,,

A bit off topic but I have to say. I have learned a LOT from all you fellas here :hatsoff: :thumbsup: :thanks:

IronMan

Let me make sure I am reading this post correctly. I just loosen the bolt of the opposite site of the hammer that is in the middle of the stock on the left hand side and gently tap on the bolt and the hammer assembly, the lock, will come off?
I seem to have the same problem.
`swamp

swampy11
Mornin ,, If you have a newer T/C Hawken , don't for get to remove the top tang bolt,, That helps removes the trigger gaurd,,

Back