• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Senaca brass forend escutcheon variation size question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know someone out there knows the answer to this.
I just was going over some recent purchases from the auction and noticed that something didn't look exactly right on a Seneca I brought. After comparing it to the other ones I have I noticed the brass forend escutcheon is different size. First thought was someone had used a Hawken part, but after closer inspection I don't think so. I seem to remember reading that they switched these in later production but not sure. Picture shows the difference on the last Senaca compared to another I have ( that is the same on the rest I have).

Attachments

• PXL_20240120_220543233.jpg
    PXL_20240120_220543233.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
That's what I was thinking, but it appears to be just a bit smaller. I read a couple years ago that there were 3 versions of the Senaca with slight differences. I know that a later version butt plate doesn't fit the earlier version stocks, curvature is slightly different.

Since making my comment I've been looking around and paying more attention to detail and I've seen pix of several Senecas with the larger escutcheons. So, thanks to you sparking my curiosity, I learnt something. Thanks.

Since making my comment I've been looking around and paying more attention to detail and I've seen pix of several Senecas with the larger escutcheons. So, thanks to you sparking my curiosity, I learnt something. Thanks.
It don't take much to entertain me, I would rather research these rabbit holes in old TC guns than to pay much attention to the real world these days.

This is what my Cherokees have.

Attachments

• IMG_6221.jpeg
    IMG_6221.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I know someone out there knows the answer to this.
I just was going over some recent purchases from the auction and noticed that something didn't look exactly right on a Seneca I brought. After comparing it to the other ones I have I noticed the brass forend escutcheon is different size. First thought was someone had used a Hawken part, but after closer inspection I don't think so. I seem to remember reading that they switched these in later production but not sure. Picture shows the difference on the last Senaca compared to another I have ( that is the same on the rest I have).
I’m not sure anything is wrong or out of place. TC changed component sizes and shapes a number of times over the years they were manufacturing these guns. I’ve noticed the different escutcheons (and other components) on various vintages of the same models, including Hawkens, Renegades and Senecas. I only seem to have photographs showing this difference on Renegades, not the others. There is around .100” difference in both the width and length.
1706215276453.jpeg

Latest posts

Back