• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson Center SN dating

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased from a realtor several black powder firearms recently (family selling estate) to get another Senaca. Most were Italian or Spain guns, but was surprised when I picked them up with a Hawkens.
Noticed trigger guard wasn't brass and lock and stock slightly different.
Doing some research I think it might be a first year production gun. SN is 12xx. Everything I've read says 1970 guns serial numbers started at 1000.
Does anyone know if this true ?

I have a 17XX first year rifle I bought from the original owner who bought it in 1970. Not sure if that means much as all I have is his comments, no sales receipt etc.

As far as anyone knows, you are correct. First year Hawkens started at serial # 1000 and had the case-colored triggerguard. The stock had the high comb, 1/2 inch longer length of pull, recessed lock bolt and wedge escutcheons, and only one screw in the forend cap. The highest I've seen with the case-colored guard was in the 4000 range and I know that by 7000 they had switched over to brass guards.

As far as anyone knows, you are correct. First year Hawkens started at serial # 1000 and had the case-colored triggerguard. The stock had the high comb, 1/2 inch longer length of pull, recessed lock bolt and wedge escutcheons, and only one screw in the forend cap. The highest I've seen with the case-colored guard was in the 4000 range and I know that by 7000 they had switched over to brass guards.
Thanks, your description matches this gun accurately. Wonder if 1970 was first year these were manufactured ?

My TC 'hawken' was originally purchased in 1970 but had a defective barrel. TC eventually replaced the barrel in late 1970 or early 1971. It is serial #20595 but does not have "Hawken" stamped on it. For the record, it is a .45 cal. and I have forgotten the twist rate. I browned the barrel and replaced factory sights with patridge fix style. It has been a safe queen since 1976.

Back