• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seeking recommendations fo a good .50 Hawken kit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philo426

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to get a kit to build a .50 Hawken rifle.I remember the CVA offerings of the 70s and they were kinda neat.Any recommendations?

The Great Plains makes a great Hawkenish rifle for a beginner. Other options are the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain which is a finished rifle.

The GPR makes a very nice rifle a newbie can put together with care and not that much investment in tools.

The Rocky Mountain as a finished rifle that can provide a very authentic "Hawken" for 1500 bucks. Honestly, you can't build a Track or Sith parts set for that, especially starting out.

The Hawken builders may not like this but here goes.

A Hawken, not the GPR,TC, Cabelas, Traditions, CVA type Jeremiah Johnson modern rifles but real historical parts sets are very difficult. Everything and I do mean just about everything on a historical Hawken set is a pain in the butt. The construction of a Hawken is deceptively complicated. They look so simple but Ohhhh Nooo they're not.

For, the more Historical sets....a member here, Herb is about the best builder I know of. Look up his posts.

Pyrodex...you don't mention if you just want a functional "Plains Rifle" or if you really want a GOOD representation of a Hawken. The title of your post would imply the latter, but not sure if that's what you meant.

If you are simply seeking an easy-to-build "plains rifle" kit, the GPR is probably the way to go...when you build it...please remove the "fish" belly from the stock! The GPR is one of the nicer looking Plains Rifles, but why they put that fish belly on it is beyond me. :shocked2: :shake:

If you want a GOOD representation of a Hawken, pay attention to 54Ball's post. I have not built a half-stock Hawken historically correct replica (built a fullstock "fantasy" flint Hawken), but understand they are quite difficult for a novice builder.

Also, Herb is a pro at building Hawken rifles and I'm sure will share good tips and advice with you.

Good luck, whichever way you choose to go.

PS. I think these kits generally get good remarks. Tapered barrels too.
http://www.thehawkenshop.com/Products/Hawken-Rifle-Kit__H1.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
54Ball, you got that exactly right, about how hard a good Hawken is to build. I've been whittling on my 25th or maybe 30th hand made Hawken this winter, some of which were from Track's parts sets or Stith's and some from a blank and the nearest correct parts. I am appalled at how hard this one is to get right.

Oh, you buy a set of parts and use an inletted stock and life is a lot simpler. You wind up with a generic Hawken, but even then not without having to modify parts. This one is to be a close copy of the Kit Carson Hawken (except with a 1" barrel) and I started with Track's Hawken rifle halfstock 1", not inlet for lock (only the barrel and ramrod hole). I am now up to fitting the key escutcheons and making a rear sight and cutting the sights in. Haven't kept good track of time, but probably 150 hours at least.

I used to think the comments about how hard Hawkens are to build was exaggeration, but mine seem to be getting harder to build. Enough to cause me to throw down my tools and go shoot my short .58 Leman elk rifle.

Well I want a Hawken style rifle,.50 caliber,double set triggers,brass patch box and nice wood.Never built one so I want most of the major work already done.

Get your feet wet with the Lyman. It is far from a Hawken. There are no kits available for an accurate reproduction of a Hawken. To get close you have to scratch build.

Well the Lyman is closer to a Hawken than the CVA's that you mentioned so maybe it would be close enough for you. They are a good gun, just not really a "Hawken".

Yes the Lyman Plains Rifke kit should fit the bill nicely.I found a series of Youtube vids by Duelist 1954 that shoukd really help!

Don,
Don Stith's kits if you want one that actually looks like a Hawken rifle and not just another half stock percussion gun.

dave

Not ready for Dons stuff.His website states that his kits require over 100 hours by an expierenced gun builder.Not there yet by any means,having never built one yet!

Hi,
Then let me suggest something else. Are you wedded to a Hawken rifle and percussion? If not, Jim Kibler's southern mountain rifle and early Lancaster rifle kits are superb, over 90% finished and correct in historical detail. They should be easy to finish and you will also become familiar with how rifles should be made and look to be authentic. When done, you will have a very fine rifle in all respects.

dave

Might be open to them but they have to be .50 caliber.I remember checking out a Hatfield .50 percussion rifle with tiger stripe maple that was just awesome but I could not afford the 450 bucks it cost 25 years ago.Like one of those for sure!

Bold claim dude! The Kibby best have AAA Tiger stripe that will knock your socks off!

I agree with the Kibler kits. I've seen 3 builds and all came out nice.

I wish someone would make a Hawken kit(like a Stith kit) but finished like a Kibler.

Best situation would be a Kibler Hawken.

Well I checked the Kibler website.... pricing is way over my budget abd the kits require you to purchase the lock for an additional 175 plus 40 bucks to ship it.Not a good fit for me,at least at this time

There are 3 items in a flint lock build that there really isn't a place for mediocre quality; the barrel, lock, and trigger installation / mechanism. You could add the sights in to that as well.

Most barrels from the major barrel companies like Rice and Colerain are of good quality, so that really isn't an issue. Some times you can get a deal on a used (or new but unused) one off of Flea Bay or yard sales. Simple pinned triggers can be every bit as good as the more expensive and complicated trigger assemblies, but when it comes to locks, yes, you can make a lesser quality one work, but be prepared to spend a fair amount of time adjusting and tuning it to make it work as well and reliably as a premium lock, like a Chambers. That's your fire control group.

The rest of the stuff (stock, trigger guard, butt plate, patch box, pipes, muzzle cap, ram rod) doesn't have much to do with accuracy or reliability, but sure adds to the aesthetics of the package.

Back