• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seeking advice on a Long Rifle for 1st flintlock purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the Forum. :hatsoff:

You are off to a good start. I have both .54 and .58 flintlocks. I mostly shoot the .54, but can recommend either. Montana doesn't have a flintlock season but, once you get settled in with your new rifle, you will find yourself taking it out in the regular rifle season when it suits you.

Richard/Grumpa

I'm not sure the Kibler Kits come as large as .50 or .54

Their last post says that the Carolina rifle comes in .50 & .54

Thanks....and aw manure! The site itself doesn't mention them but in the blog section sure enough I found as suggested...,

"The new Colonial Rifle kit will be pre-rev war (1760's - 1770's) rifle in styling, brass mounted and available in .50 and .54 calibers. It will have a round faced English lock. The buttplate will be a little over 2" wide and a touch over 5" tall. The barrel will be 1.125" at the breech, taper to around .800" and flare to around .870". The barrel length will be 43.25". The kit will be available with a wood patchbox . It will only be available in right hand (sorry lefties).

It is not yet available for pre-sale, but should be soon.

All the care that has gone into our first kit will go into this one as well. It will be as easy or easier to assemble than our Southern Mountain Rifle kit. We feel pretty good about so far and think it's going to be a kick ass rifle. It should be priced starting at $995.
"

So..., I would wait and check with Mr. Kibler about getting one of these from him, and get it to the point where you can complete it with your skill level. It might cost a little more than the basic, plain kit, but will be well worth it.

Thanks to Fred aka Old Ford for the info and where to look...., Aw manure since I was pondering buying a .45 from Mr. Kibler..., NOW he's out with one in .54 (or real soon) so NOW I'm gonna need one fur sure in .54....

LD

MTCossack said:
The only percussion guns I might consider are European Military styles like the 53 Enfield

For future reference, the Enfield is not European, it is indisputably English in all respects.

Having been finagled into what the people in Brussels call the European Union - a despotic organisation that started off in all innocence as the European Common Market, and then, almost imperceptibly evolved into a super state where everybody had to do what they were told by a bunch of bureaucrats based Brussels - the people of the UK recently held a referendum about remaining part of what, these days, is styled Europe.

They decided to leave.

tac

tac said:
MTCossack said:
The only percussion guns I might consider are European Military styles like the 53 Enfield

For future reference, the Enfield is not European, it is indisputably English in all respects.

Having been finagled into what the people in Brussels call the European Union - a despotic organisation that started off in all innocence as the European Common Market, and then, almost imperceptibly evolved into a super state where everybody had to do what they were told by a bunch of bureaucrats based Brussels - the people of the UK recently held a referendum about remaining part of what, these days, is styled Europe.

They decided to leave.

tac

I understand what you mean, and it's a fair distinction. I just meant Europe as in the continent across the water from the US, north of Africa and west of Asia. For my interests in terms of muzzleloading it would also include Britain and Russia.

And of course, for the black powder period in history, the concept of the sovereign nation-state was quite alive and well on continental Europe.

I looked yesterday thought said taking deposits. Guess a few were already to go.

One thing I dont get is the $995.00 cost. Does this include the cost of the lock?

AWwwwwww heck, there goes the rest of my mad money...

I have a mania for wide butt Virginias and this Colonial sounds like it will fit right in,

I have a Blue Ridge in .54 flint. She's not real flashy but is a nail driver. You will have to file off the front site a bit to get her on target, or adjust your aim. Starting the ball and patch is a bit rough but that will get better with time. Not a bad starter flinter, go for it.

Knowing what I know now I would have started with a smooth rifle. The look of the rifle and the ability to shoot shot or round ball.

brian98 said:
Knowing what I know now I would have started with a smooth rifle. The look of the rifle and the ability to shoot shot or round ball.

I haven't ruled them out, and I can see myself trying out a smoothbore down the road even if I start with a rifle.

Mate, if possible a good second hand custom rifle with a Jim Chambers or earlier Siler lock, or even and L and R lock that has been tuned. I am guessing White Tail deer ( had a mate down under from Montana) so a .54 or above. If you go for an Enfield, a Parker Hale Naval Rifle with a 1 in 48 is a ver good shooting rifle . I have two , one since the age of 14 and they are ver good shooters. A cheap flintlock will give you nothing but frustration due to unreliable ignition. I might add I have rifles with all of the above locks and they work ver well.
Round ball rifles are easier to hunt with in my experience than rifled muskets, as the round ball rifles have much flatter trajectories therefore a little more forgiving if your range estimation is a bit out. I have hunted with both as a kid and older. If you get a second hand custom rifle it may come with a mould and the information from the previous owner as to what load which could save you some time reinventing the wheel.
Flintlocks are an incurable disease and near as reliable as a cap lock once you know their quirks, and provided it is a good lock.

cheers and good luck

Heeler

The best recommendation I can make is get a quality first flintlock if you can afford it. I started with a TC Hawken kit years ago. While it was fun when it worked it ended up sitting unused for years (I now have a replacement lock, waiting to be installed)

I always liked the look of the Pedersoli rifles but it seems hit or miss with the locks, more good than bad certainly but I don't know what your options are as far as returning or replacing parts.

For the price of a Kibler kit its hard to pass up, considering your getting a rifle with great lines aswell as a quality swamped barrel and a Chambers lock. if you didn't want to do any carving or engraving it could be finished up in a weekend or 2, depending on what finishes you use for the wood/steel.

And if your more of a fan like my self in the earlier rifles the first batch of his Colonial rifles ships out in the next few weeks. I've got one in 54 coming that I cant wait to put together. Not sure what kind of wait there is if you preorder now though.

I would say rather than look at different guns and models to start with, that you should make a list of the actual FEATURES you find most attractive, together with your perceived NEED or primary purpose for the gun before you start shopping. Otherwise, it's awfully easy to get overwhelmed, because they ALL have their attractive points.

If this is to be a "general purpose" gun, and you hunt big tough game, like Alaskan Brown Bears, then your needs will be significantly different than someone only intends to shoot paper targets on woods walks.

Back