• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Seeking a recommendation for builder/maker of French Fusil long gun.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently got a very nice fuse de chasse,made by Jackie Brown. From what I've been able to tell, comparing it to online pictures of originals, it seems quite true to type (with the possible exception of the lock). I still have to get the book recommended as the most complete on these.

I don't know if Mr. Brown is still building, but based on this, I recommend asking him.

I got mine gently used, for a very short time, a couple of years ago. I got the impression that it had been made within the previous five years or so. Since I was focused on trying not to drool too obviously over this beautiful
smooth bore, I didn't get the exact year it was made.

It's light (7#7oz), points instinctively, balances well, and handles beautifully, in spite of a 42" .62 cal barrel. Accurate enough, out to about 50 yds, to keep 5-6 balls well clustered in a torso-sized target.

Good hunting in your search.

I can tell you this much, i sent several PMs and lots of emails. Many builders said they were swamped and had back log and couldnt do it. (Good for them being busy)

ColonialRifleSmith simply said “Yes” and “yes” to all my weird requests.

I recently got a very nice fuse de chasse,made by Jackie Brown. From what I've been able to tell, comparing it to online pictures of originals, it seems quite true to type (with the possible exception of the lock). I still have to get the book recommended as the most complete on these.

I don't know if Mr. Brown is still building, but based on this, I recommend asking him.

I got mine gently used, for a very short time, a couple of years ago. I got the impression that it had been made within the previous five years or so. Since I was focused on trying not to drool too obviously over this beautiful
smooth bore, I didn't get the exact year it was made.

It's light (7#7oz), points instinctively, balances well, and handles beautifully, in spite of a 42" .62 cal barrel. Accurate enough, out to about 50 yds, to keep 5-6 balls well clustered in a torso-sized target.

Good hunting in your search.
I have some of Jackie's work. He is not building anymore.

I would second @Flint62Smoothie's recommendation to contact Alex Efremenko. He made my French musket back in 2009. I picked it up at Fort Niagara at their big event in July that year. My first 21 shots went off without a hitch; never needed to go for the 22nd.

It's a wonderful thing to carry. Lightweight, well balanced and was incredibly affordable. He was great to work with so I think you'll be happy if he can make you what you're looking for.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Attachments

• 20240207_160324.jpg
    20240207_160324.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240207_160412.jpg
    20240207_160412.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back