• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scratching that big itch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd love to do a kit myself, and maybe one day I will. But with 3 small kids it would be foolish and selfish of me to think I have the time to commit to that right now.

As I figure it, I have 3 muzzleloaders I can sell that would get me around $5k aud give or take. If I were to buy a gun in the states at around $2-2500us I could get it here for around that $5k amount. And yes shipping/fees here are really that expensive to make up the difference!

Getting the gun here isn't actually a big deal, just need a guy to build it and ship it to a fella in (I think) Maryland and that's it. The international side is then taken care of by the MD guy and aussie importer.

It's got me seriously thinking about that larger calibre gun I've always wanted. I don't think my budget would allow for full custom, but perhaps a kit gun build by someone.
I have an affinity for 62s, I like larger hunting calibres and appreciate what they can do on large game at distance.

But I'm not sure what quality 62s are around in kit form? I really love the Chambers Edward Marshall but it only goes to a 58. Not that I don't like the 58, but it doesn't seem a big step from my 54 I currently use. Certainly wouldn't rule it out.

They have a 62 in Mark Silver but that brings me to my next point. At 62" long it's too long for travelling. I love my fusil but at that same length it fits awkwardly in my ute and Is a pain to travel with or find a hardcase for. The Edward Marshall at 52 1/2" is much more manageable.

I'm not opposed to a jaeger in 62 but don't know of any quality kits in that sphere and I have grown real fond of longrifles. At the end of the day it has to be well built (as I plan on living and hunting for the next 40-50 years) and the lock geometry has to be good. If it doesn't fire as fast as my green river it won't get used.

Anyway, before I start selling guns and looking for builders, does anyone have suggestions for a 62 (possibly 58 if it's amazing) around that 52-54" max length with a good lock? Open to consider anything.

Thank you

Just thought to add, if I was building myself and it was possible I'd lean toward a kibler. But as I'm not the woodsrunner doesn't go big enough calibre wise and the colonial is too long for what I'm after so I've crossed them off my list of potentials.

Just thought to add, if I was building myself and it was possible I'd lean toward a kibler. But as I'm not the woodsrunner doesn't go big enough calibre wise and the colonial is too long for what I'm after so I've crossed them off my list of potentials.
There have been a few past threads on this and maybe you’ve checked, but Jim currently doesn’t ship to Australia. The barrels require a serial number (I believe) and Jim’s barrels don’t have any

They are around. Today Rock Island Auctions sold a .62 for $900 plus premiums(about 25% of hammer price). You would end up with a finished rifle for about the kit price. It had a 37in. barrel. Looked like Chambers Edward Marshall kit. Lot 4232. Not the fanciest gun ever built, but it would be a good hunting gun.

Last edited:
There have been a few past threads on this and maybe you’ve checked, but Jim currently doesn’t ship to Australia. The barrels require a serial number (I believe) and Jim’s barrels don’t have any
Jim wouldn't need to ship to Australia.
The finished gun only needs to get to Maryland or possibly to Connecticut and shipping to Australia will be handled from there.

I'd love to do a kit myself, and maybe one day I will. But with 3 small kids it would be foolish and selfish of me to think I have the time to commit to that right now.

As I figure it, I have 3 muzzleloaders I can sell that would get me around $5k aud give or take. If I were to buy a gun in the states at around $2-2500us I could get it here for around that $5k amount. And yes shipping/fees here are really that expensive to make up the difference!

Getting the gun here isn't actually a big deal, just need a guy to build it and ship it to a fella in (I think) Maryland and that's it. The international side is then taken care of by the MD guy and aussie importer.

It's got me seriously thinking about that larger calibre gun I've always wanted. I don't think my budget would allow for full custom, but perhaps a kit gun build by someone.
I have an affinity for 62s, I like larger hunting calibres and appreciate what they can do on large game at distance.

But I'm not sure what quality 62s are around in kit form? I really love the Chambers Edward Marshall but it only goes to a 58. Not that I don't like the 58, but it doesn't seem a big step from my 54 I currently use. Certainly wouldn't rule it out.

They have a 62 in Mark Silver but that brings me to my next point. At 62" long it's too long for travelling. I love my fusil but at that same length it fits awkwardly in my ute and Is a pain to travel with or find a hardcase for. The Edward Marshall at 52 1/2" is much more manageable.

I'm not opposed to a jaeger in 62 but don't know of any quality kits in that sphere and I have grown real fond of longrifles. At the end of the day it has to be well built (as I plan on living and hunting for the next 40-50 years) and the lock geometry has to be good. If it doesn't fire as fast as my green river it won't get used.

Anyway, before I start selling guns and looking for builders, does anyone have suggestions for a 62 (possibly 58 if it's amazing) around that 52-54" max length with a good lock? Open to consider anything.

Thank you
I'm with you buddy on wishing there were a more easily obtainable big bore early rifle. Something .60 or .62 caliber. Something along the lines of, the "tulip rifle," the "musicians rifle," the "lion and lamb" gun, the "Marshal rifle."
I don't understand the marketing of the "Woodsrunner" from @James Kibler as an earlier rifle than the "Colonial" yet going smaller in caliber instead of larger.... but then, I don't understand a lot of marketing things.

I think one question you will need to explore to get what you want,,,, and this will add to the cost,,, is how big a bore can be safely bored and rifled in a given o.d. barrel? Can someone like Bobby Hoyt safely bore the .58 caliber barrel that comes with a kit that would be under consideration to a .62 caliber? What is his minimum barrel size and profile to go that large in caliber? Or, can someone build you a "Colonial" with a cut down barrel, or cut down the stock and use a different barrel? (Cutting down the existing barrel will change its profile, which could change the handling characteristics and possibly how the sights line up)
There are a lot of good builders out there, many of them doing great work with a kit, I think there are fewer and fewer good kits though. Many of the better, and better known builders are probably pretty booked up.... Our mutual friend in Ohio does nice work on a kit.....
Whoever does it, and whatever kit you choose,,,,, you should come pick it up....

Looking through old threads and saw this. Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading sells kits and finished guns, in several styles in 36" barrels and up to .62 cal. tvmnatchez.com if you want to look at their offerings (says they ship international). I'm not affiliated with them at all, can't tell you much about them other then I've handled and shot some of their guns and they're fine rifles in fit and function. Have my eye on an iron Pennsylvanian myself hopefully oneday.

Latest posts

Back