• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seed Tick Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Ott

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Abraham Nowlin was born in the Virginia Mountains in the year of 1823. He learned gunsmithing there until moving to Missouri, and settling in eastern Hickory County. He carried on his gun building way of life, which in those days was meager at best.There was one particular gun that he had trouble selling and that was a 45 cal. The locals said,” Cost too much to shoot”! So Abe heated up the barrel and started hammering it shut, and then reboring it to a 25 cal. He dubbed it, “The seed tick rifle”. Not long after he sold the rifle to Faith Thomas. After many years Faith grew weary of the iron hardware and came to my good friend, (Rod Gates) father, who was also a gunsmith, and happened to be kin to Faith, and asked him to supply it with brass trimmings. He did, and kept the trigger guard and butt plate. Those two items have been lying around for many years, until one day that I happened onto them in Rods shop. I asked the normal questions and was well supplied with some info in which you have just read about.
I had been kicking around the idea of building a southern gun for a good while, those parts just seemed to call out to me, so the journey began. Several months and many wrong turns later, I managed to finish up this little rifle, in 32 cal. trying to pattern it from those two parts. I had the barrel made my Mark Dehass, and the lock by Homer Sales.I did a good bit of work in the outside appearance of the lock, to remove its Germanic appeal. Everything else I forged out myself. There are many mistakes on this build as I am still learning. This was my first one from a blank, and my 4th overall. I am pleased”¦for now. We’ll talk about my screw ups later.:)
You might wonder about the afore mentioned rifle? It was traded for an outboard motor in later years, and its whereabouts is now unknown. I am sure that the boat motor is by now, out of order, but I bet that rifle ain’t.
The first couple of pics are of the original trigger guard and butt plate. The butt plate was held together only with a copper rivet.

037.jpg

036.jpg

Well, I would say that the rifle turned out great! Other than the lock being on the wrong side that is... :rotf: That tang looks like a real humdinger to inlet!?

I like this rifle. I'm guessing one of your headaches and wrong turns was that tang. It certainly is unique. Have you seen it on other examples? I like it! :thumbsup:

Great looking rifle. You really did a nice job on it.
If their are mistakes I wouldn't talk about them cause I sure can't see any :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oooo, that is some pretty piece of a squirrel killin' machine.

beautiful wood. beautiful gun. wish mmine turned out like that. Keep up the great work

That is a great looking piece of appalachian folk art. I think your forgings are great.

Thanks all for the kind words.

The tang was a major learning curve for me.As most know the lollipop should be alot smaller than the one present on that rifle.I didn't know how to go about inletting it,until later,then I had removed to much wood,(Rookie mistake) but if ya don't know?

After I figured out how, then I had to make things bigger to fill the voids.That is the one thing about this build that still bugs me.But now I know how, so the next one will be easier.

Also my lock inlet is a bit sloppy,I need to work on all my inletting work.

Thanks again all.

Back