• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

second SMR hog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The pigs had been hitting the bait around 4:30 for the last 3 days in a role so I climbed up in my lock on at 3:30 this afternoon. The wind decided to blow every direction and as the afternoon turned to evening I was not surprised that the pigs had not shown up. When I put together my new Kibler SMR last month, I put a peep sight on it. The advantage for me is it really helps seeing the front sight with my old eyes. The down side is you loose 15 or 20 minutes as it starts getting dark compared to regular sights. It was just about time to give up when I saw a tank of a boar headed down the hill towards me. He never checked up and trotted right into the bait. I settled the bead on his front shoulder and pulled the rear trigger. Click, click , click……. I had set the trigger so light that it would not catch to set the front trigger. The boar spun around and hit the thicket. I could hear him shuffling around in the water as I used my pocket knife to turn the little screw to adjust the set trigger.
When I looked up from fixing my rifle the hog was standing broad side about 50 yards away. By this point the light had faded to the point I was having a hard time making him out through the peep. I stared over the sight and noticed he had a rubbed spot right under his ear. I raised the rifle again and even though I couldn’t really make out the black hog, I could see the white spot. The second the bead settled the gun went off and the cloud of FF black powder blocked my vision. All I could hear was splashing and as the smoke cleared I could see the boar on his side running in place splashing in the swamp.

So far the new .45 is batting 1000. I have taken it to the woods twice and killed a nice hog both times

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 7
The pigs had been hitting the bait around 4:30 for the last 3 days in a role so I climbed up in my lock on at 3:30 this afternoon. The wind decided to blow every direction and as the afternoon turned to evening I was not surprised that the pigs had not shown up. When I put together my new Kibler SMR last month, I put a peep sight on it. The advantage for me is it really helps seeing the front sight with my old eyes. The down side is you loose 15 or 20 minutes as it starts getting dark compared to regular sights. It was just about time to give up when I saw a tank of a boar headed down the hill towards me. He never checked up and trotted right into the bait. I settled the bead on his front shoulder and pulled the rear trigger. Click, click , click……. I had set the trigger so light that it would not catch to set the front trigger. The boar spun around and hit the thicket. I could hear him shuffling around in the water as I used my pocket knife to turn the little screw to adjust the set trigger.
When I looked up from fixing my rifle the hog was standing broad side about 50 yards away. By this point the light had faded to the point I was having a hard time making him out through the peep. I stared over the sight and noticed he had a rubbed spot right under his ear. I raised the rifle again and even though I couldn’t really make out the black hog, I could see the white spot. The second the bead settled the gun went off and the cloud of FF black powder blocked my vision. All I could hear was splashing and as the smoke cleared I could see the boar on his side running in place splashing in the swamp.

So far the new .45 is batting 1000. I have taken it to the woods twice and killed a nice hog both times
Outstanding. Nice porker! Almost every hog I've busted was head shot. They never get over it.
Also, looks like East Texas piney-woods to me!

Congrats on the hog. Looks like a dandy! 👍

I use a .125 aperture and it allows me our legal 1/2 hr before sunrise to 1/2 hr after sunset. On cloudy days where it gets light a little later or dark a little earlier, a .150 works a little better.

I don't use a set trigger when hunting. One less click for game to hear. The double set triggers on Kibler rifles have a nice pull on the firing trigger without the set anyway.

Congratulations.

I struggle to understand set triggers on a muzzloader that is going to be used under 100yards on large game mostly shot from a rest but that's just me....
Happy eating.

Latest posts

Back