• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Second Finish On My First Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outstanding! beautiful job. but i want that toothpic! is that a shinbone handle?
I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to kill you, I'm gonna skin you, and then I'm going to use your shinbone for a pencil box". Tim Thomerson in " Volunteers".

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to kill you, I'm gonna skin you, and then I'm going to use your shinbone for a pencil box". Tim Thomerson in " Volunteers".

The blade is marked with a small deer track, maybe someone here knows who uses that as a makers mark.

20210414_181219.jpg
20210414_181300.jpg

And so the mods don't accuse me of getting off topic... here is a photo of the some work I did on the muzzle of the rifle and some accent lines I carved on the cheekpiece. Also really happy with how this turned out.
20201224_151541.jpg

20210405_182935.jpg

Attachments

• 20210405_182935.jpg
    20210405_182935.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 61
Honestly it wasn't so much the color I was unhappy with before it was the permalyn. It just felt very artificial to me. But yeah, you're very right, everyone has their tastes!

That light color with the reddish tones reminds me of many Browning's from the middle of the last century. Again, I love that color also.

That light color with the reddish tones reminds me of many Browning's from the middle of the last century. Again, I love that color also.

Yeah it had even gotten a little bit darker between that "before" photo and when I refinished it. It went a bit more on the red side.

I think you did an excellent job on it and the darker finish is much to my liking. It's a truly great looking rifle.
Thank you very much sir! Means a lot! I've had a lot of fun with it so far and will hopefully bag a deer with it in the fall!

The original finish looked good in the photo you posted. That said, I really like the way the redo came out. Beautiful color! The setups you did for the photos of your new finish were nicely done as well!
Thank you! I'm extremely happy with it!

I just got mine in the other day. Just about a month early :) Had to send away for some decent chisels so she awaits all ready to go... I think, for this gun, the change to a darker color was best.

Latest posts

Back