• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dark red finishes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Good evening, folks.

I’m finishing up my 2nd Kibler colonial. It’s a .58 smoothie, mainly a turkey and small game/upland gun, but I’m sure I’ll dabble in a few deer hunts as well. The barrel is currently being jug choked and I just finished up aging the parts. Essentially, it’s ready to go outside of the barrel.

I have a vision of patinated hardware with a DARK red curly maple stock. The curl in this stock is exquisite. I’m having troubles reaching the red color I want, though. Have been working with tannic acid, iron nitrate, cherry LMF, and Tru oil in the barrel channel in certain segments to test without avail (yes, I will neutralize the channel when I’m done to prevent corrosion).

Does anyone have any suggestions or examples?

I use alkaline powder dyes, namely the Keda brand, with nice results I think. Below are some examples but you could easily get a darker color if desired like on the curly maple Fusils or pistol.

Attachments

• CR done 5.jpg
    CR done 5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Fusil 6.jpg
    Fusil 6.jpg
    936.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Done 3.jpg
    Done 3.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Fusil 10.jpg
    Fusil 10.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I use alkaline powder dyes, namely the Keda brand, with nice results I think. Below are some examples but you could easily get a darker color if desired like on the curly maple Fusil or pistol.
Your cherry stocked Kibler is pretty well along the lines I want to follow.

3501F248-ABFB-4077-AB49-AF604DA77EE0.jpeg
3501F248-ABFB-4077-AB49-AF604DA77EE0.jpeg
710CA1C0-05B1-45C5-A3F0-32BF8A7F7AD5.jpeg
98EA4F71-AE49-4E8F-AB7B-39B58FE1FC34.jpeg
616EA937-D087-4FB7-9BF6-6DFF400069C8.jpeg
5ED07C76-E28A-494B-89AA-D9AB6DFA5E4A.jpeg

Just for y’all’s entertainment. These are my first major carvings. My last gun wasn’t near this intricate. Have a little edge cleaning to do yet. My plan was to let the curl enhance the plumage.

I was born in S/W Pa. south of the m/l gun industry around Pittsburgh , Pa.. My father's garage we used as an at home business , mechanic shop. In the corner of the garage , mixed with some shovels , etc. , was two original local made longrifles. One had a very red stained maple stock. Later in years , a friend , and I tried to research the stain used on that original red colored rifle. the wood was curly maple, and after reading what would be used back in the day this piece was made , we came up with a naturally grown common plant called "blood root". We went out along a stream in the spring time , when we had an idea this blood root might be found. The plant , if torn from the ground and cut open , yields a thick sap emulating blood. Ureka , we found it. However , draining each tiny plant of the bloody sap , yielded about a dime size puddle of liquid. We abandoned the effort to use a stain made by this process , due to the amount of plants needed to generate the stain. Any way , we got some dark red alcohol dye , and kept thinning it w/ alcohol until the test sample looked good. First , to highlight the curl , we took black alcohol dye , cut the consistency to 50% black. Used the black stain first , dried the wood w/ heat gun , and then applied the red alcohol over the black . the process is , apply the black , dry with heat gun , polish with OOOO steel wool that's washed in solvent to remove the preservative oil from the wool. Over the black alco. stain , apply the red alco. stain , and dry with heat gun. Last , again polish the wood w/ oil less , OOOO steel wool. Put the finish on and , we had emulated a blood root stained gun. That was back in the mid 1980's and haven't yet stained a gun , that color. Just never got an inquiry for a red stained s/w Pa. squirrel rifle..............oldwood

I was born in S/W Pa. south of the m/l gun industry around Pittsburgh , Pa.. My father's garage we used as an at home business , mechanic shop. In the corner of the garage , mixed with some shovels , etc. , was two original local made longrifles. One had a very red stained maple stock. Later in years , a friend , and I tried to research the stain used on that original red colored rifle. the wood was curly maple, and after reading what would be used back in the day this piece was made , we came up with a naturally grown common plant called "blood root". We went out along a stream in the spring time , when we had an idea this blood root might be found. The plant , if torn from the ground and cut open , yields a thick sap emulating blood. Ureka , we found it. However , draining each tiny plant of the bloody sap , yielded about a dime size puddle of liquid. We abandoned the effort to use a stain made by this process , due to the amount of plants needed to generate the stain. Any way , we got some dark red alcohol dye , and kept thinning it w/ alcohol until the test sample looked good. First , to highlight the curl , we took black alcohol dye , cut the consistency to 50% black. Used the black stain first , dried the wood w/ heat gun , and then applied the red alcohol over the black . the process is , apply the black , dry with heat gun , polish with OOOO steel wool that's washed in solvent to remove the preservative oil from the wool. Over the black alco. stain , apply the red alco. stain , and dry with heat gun. Last , again polish the wood w/ oil less , OOOO steel wool. Put the finish on and , we had emulated a blood root stained gun. That was back in the mid 1980's and haven't yet stained a gun , that color. Just never got an inquiry for a red stained s/w Pa. squirrel rifle..............oldwood
@dave_person was this the root/process you used on your walnut guns?

You guys and your carving chisels.

I don't have it in me.

Wish I did.
I’m not sure I have it in me either 😂

I have to put something on a flintlock. My first gun had some small stuff. The finishes around a cross I put behind the cheek piece was left to be desired. It was mine though. This gun I’ve taken more time and had a good idea what I wanted to do. Theres still some touching up to do and the wing certainly isn’t great, but it’s mine. Once the finishes go on, I think I will be a very happy guy

The only gun I've ever seen with the redish black highlighted stock was a S.W. Pa. curly maple one. I've put red ,yellow , and orange dye on walnut stocks ,to lighten the walnut color a little to make the wood have an aged look. All I can say is , try it on some test walnut. .....oldwood

Do some research into violin finishes. They have been mentioned here and on the ALR forum before. It involves adding a red pigment to a clear varnish finish, if I'm not misremembering also associated with Lehigh style rifles.

Good evening, folks.

I’m finishing up my 2nd Kibler colonial. It’s a .58 smoothie, mainly a turkey and small game/upland gun, but I’m sure I’ll dabble in a few deer hunts as well. The barrel is currently being jug choked and I just finished up aging the parts. Essentially, it’s ready to go outside of the barrel.

I have a vision of patinated hardware with a DARK red curly maple stock. The curl in this stock is exquisite. I’m having troubles reaching the red color I want, though. Have been working with tannic acid, iron nitrate, cherry LMF, and Tru oil in the barrel channel in certain segments to test without avail (yes, I will neutralize the channel when I’m done to prevent corrosion).

Does anyone have any suggestions or examples?
I used iron nitrate and laurel mountain forge maple stain on mine , don't know if this is color your looking for !

Attachments

• KIMG0970.JPG
    KIMG0970.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0975.JPG
    KIMG0975.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0976.JPG
    KIMG0976.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I would do a test of good old aqua fortis and tung oil. BLO seemed to make it too dark for my taste.

Back